Command and Control?

Yes; Coy HQs can take over for Plt HQs in CMx2, whether the Plt HQ is hors de combat or simply out of too far away to exert control. You can easily verify this by putting a unit very far away from its Plt/Section HQ, but adjacent to its Coy HQ. The unit will then show as in "voice command" C2, even though it is clearly not in vocal range of the Plt HQ.

IIRC, there are some restrictions on how well Coy HQs can serve as substitute Plt/Section HQs. I don't remember all the details but as I understand it, the net effect is that Coy HQs can't maintain direct C2 links with subordinate units as well as, or over as great a distance, as Plt/Section HQs can. My understanding is that this is intended to abstractly represent the fact that the Coy HQ has larger and more important C2/force management responsibilities to see to, and therefore has limited time & attention it can spare for asserting control over local infantry teams.

From the manual:

"Higher HQs may fulfill this role only to a limited extent. If a squad or team is

out of contact with its immediate superior (usually a platoon HQ) then its

company or battalion HQ may provide voice and close visual contact, but not

radio or distant-visual contact. This simulates that a higher HQ can't babysit

a large number of units more than one level lower in the organization, and it

means that higher HQs can't be used in a gamey way to make platoon HQs

unnecessary, but they can step in and provide command-and-control in a

limited radius in emergency situations."

Does this imply that the higher HQ bonuses apply? Or, is it only good for C2 purposes ie: disseminating information about the enemy? The manual is unclear.

Does this imply that the higher HQ bonuses apply? Or, is it only good for C2 purposes ie: disseminating information about the enemy? The manual is unclear.

Maybe I am just dumbly missing the obvious, but I have never gotten clear on what bonuses the platoon HQs provide, aside from disseminating spotting info and maybe some kind of morale boost. Not to put too fine a point on it, there is a great deal about C&C in CMx2 that I don't get. I just proceed with the assumption that something must be going on under the hood and try to keep all my teams and squads within range of their respective HQs.

Michael

Agreed. Compared to CM1 the CM2 HQ bonuses have such a subtle effect that it's hard to see much difference between being in command and OOC.

IIRC tests have been done with two units firing at each other like a Napoleonic line and the unit with an HQ does better. But, that's not what one does in a normal battle, so...