Tips needed for the scenario: NATO TV 98-5 Steelers

I have a question about the scenario: NATO TV 98-5 Steelers

*** SPOILERS ***

The mission is to reconnoitre (touch) several (potential) enemy positions. However, it is almost impossible to approach these positions without taking casualties to my limited forces.

The only way I can see to do this by pre-emptively prepping the positions with mortar and artillery and then move in to count the bodies.

I am wondering, is this how this would be done in real life? Or are there other tactics used.

Greetings,

stikky

Extensive discussion full of top tips here May also contain spoilers though.

The key to this one is a/ terrain - have a good look at the ground from level 1 there are several not very obvious routes that allow your AFVs to move fast with some degree of cover. i.e. fast move from one point of cover to the next via shallow cover. b/ if in doubt use smoke c/ you don't have enough arty support to bombard each NAI d/ if playing as the Brits you have nippy wee mortars in all their sections... Hope this helps?

This scenario is based on a RL tactical challenge :)

I don't want to give too much away - either way way but clearing an occupied NAI will lose you men. Not all NAIs are occupied and some you can ID occupants then bring down arty on their heads. Others you will have to get close and personal with your dismounts. In this case hose the area down before hand with fire using your IFV and tanks.

Good Luck! :)

Finally ... back in town with cable internet luxury = non guvmint satellite internet. I I admit cherishing working in the Country w/o modern distractions it is easier to communicate with high speed cable.

stikkypixie,

You will enjoy Sir George's scenario: NATO TV 98-5 Steelers. It is not a push over challenge IMO.

I did many, restarts to get things right MV but my satisfaction was well worth my limited game time for the fun George's offers. I have yet to have enough play time to try George's NATO TV 98-5 Steelers two different ‘flavours’ ... but I will. A mini armor school of modern equipment differences and great preparation for CMSF-2.

"...have a good look at the ground from level 1..." is a valuable suggestion. As noted... " scenario is based on a RL tactical challenge..." and I had no idea how to win with the mostly modern armor forces as heavy mechanized scouts but I learned on this fine scenario.

Get After It ... and let us know how it plays out for you.

Thanks, I'll get on with it.

I don't want to give too much away - either way way but clearing an occupied NAI will lose you men. Not all NAIs are occupied and some you can ID occupants then bring down arty on their heads. Others you will have to get close and personal with your dismounts. In this case hose the area down before hand with fire using your IFV and tanks.

Good Luck! :)

This is what I needed to know thanks! I was doing recon by fire, got a response, but instead of backing the dismounts out and letting the heavies do the work, I did a close assault. Not pretty :(

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks, I'll get on with it.

This is what I needed to know thanks! I was doing recon by fire, got a response, but instead of backing the dismounts out and letting the heavies do the work, I did a close assault. Not pretty :(

How you getting on with it?

Rainy afternoon so I get to play inside:)

stikky,

Are you asking how to capture NAI C103 without losing all of your men?

*** SPOILER***

-----------------------------------------

NAI C103 - This is a tough nut to crack. The terrain and Syrian positions make taking them all out difficult even with Challengers in close support. Taking too many casualties early with your limited boots on the ground may not help with the 'Zone Recon' overall end state. If you know where bad guys are and what they have then take a look around at ground level for a route to get your forces past them quickly and on to the belly of the beast that awaits. Your AFVs can move very rapidly but modern armor is not indestructible. Speed is your friend. You have a very large map to work with so keep your movements rapid across vulnerable areas with your guns pointed at where the stuff that can hurt is positioned. In so doing you give yourself rapid mobile recon and protection and may bag some of the bogies in your maneuvers.

Hope this helps.

I too I highly recommend the scenario(s). They play great in CMSF so I can only wonder how Sir George's scenarios will look and play in CMSF-2!