Swapping adjacent units

• 2 years later...

select the unit, then hover over the unit you want to "switch" with and hold down shift.

Can't get this switching manoeuver to work.. No enemy units are adjacent to either switching units, neither unit has moved yet this turn, neither have been given any kind of orders, reinforcements, ect., just updated to v 1.5 the other day and can find no other instructions (in Manual) other than yours on how to do switching. Tried this switching technique in both directions, tried to use both left and right mouse to see if that helped, no success. I've used this type of manoeuver in CTGW, so I know how it works, only there a player used the ctrl key to complete the function, plus flashing arrows (over the units) appeared to indicate the manoeuver. Any further suggestions here on how to do "SWITCHING" would be appreciated..

Are there circumstances other than what I mentioned above, where switching is not allowed? Or can somebody point me in the right direction where this switching manoeuver is covered in the manual or a information thread that covers everything about switching? Thanks

Hi

The way it works is that units adjacent to each other with available action points can be swapped by selecting the first unit, pressing the SHIFT key, and then left clicking on the second unit.

There are no other circumstances I can think of where it can't be done. Try testing it out by starting a new game of (say) 1914 Call to Arms.

Though note that this was only introduced in a patch to the base WWI game, so be sure to have downloaded and installed the latest patch. I don't know exactly what game you're playing, WWI or WWI Breakthrough, but patches can be found on www.battlefront.com

Bill

Hello Bill,

Did as you suggested: That's when I realized I was not using the proper key for swapping! Numb-nuts (me) was using the "space bar" instead of "shift", must of been some sort of mental blockage to following instructions. All is fine now, and the function "switching" works in both SCWWI games.

Did notice that some units can be switched more than once in the same turn, guess that has to do with available action points..

Thanks (and still learning), Bob

Three more things I noticed about switching after using the manoeuver :  1)  Both units can attack after moving.  2) Both units can upgrade (surprisingly after moving)...  3) Both units can replace losses after moving.

And I'll add this:  When conducting the "Switching  manoeuver" or I should say during the manoeuver "switching arrows" appear over the units a player is intent on moving, leaving NO DOUBT as to which units are being switched.. 

Hi xwormwood!

Now that you have mentioned that, I did not read that particular section on swapping before (Hmmm!  Who was the author of that post?  Any hints? :) ), as well as some other posts.  Heck, I have been rummaging around a number of threads all over the BF forums to see what makes them tick, needless to say I have not read them all completely.  Did notice some characteristics of swapping that were not included in your post, minor as they are, still worth noting.  Oh!  By no means am I familiar with all aspects of this game.  However, I think I have enough under my belt to go MP in some of the smaller scenarios....  Thanks for the "Heads-Up"...

Bob