Official 1939 World At War AAR/Walkthrough

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim hammered a division next to Nanning last turn and destroyed it. His casualties were heavy in taking it down, which included air and ground. My goal is to make china as expensive as possible so that it keeps him from building up forces elsewhere that can be used against the Australians and US. I would say that the war in China is about to ramp up which is good. I have made it as difficult as I can for Jim to advance significantly in the south. He will pay for every inch of ground he gains.

In the Atlantic I found another U-Boat… thanks to intelligence and hammered it good. He came out with subs on the Canadian convoy route and managed to cut it, meaning he put to sea additional U-Boats. It looks like the war over the Atlantic might heat up again before it cools.

49-Tobruk.jpg

Tobruk fell this turn, beginning the fast slide of Italian morale. Tobruk is a national morale objective. Tripoli and Addis Ababa are national morale objectives as well. I am currently closing in on Addis Ababa in Italian East Africa with powerful forces. Jim has an HQ left there with a special forces unit and Garrison. I do not expect them to last much longer.

Now that Tobruk is secure I can begin the long advance across North Africa. I do not expect significant resistance… however since Jim handed France over to the Italians I am surprised he is not putting up more of a fight over North Africa. His shifting of forces was more of a feint or bluff than anything else… though in the end it has cost him heavily… 2 armies, 2 corps, 1 fighter and a medium bomber.

German-and-italian-PoWs1.jpg

In this picture Axis soldiers having been captured in Tobruk make the long sad march into captivity.

When France surrendered the Japanese got a message that French Indochina is poorly garrisoned… basically inviting the Japanese to invade. I noticed that Jim did not invade. I suspect he was holding out and saving it… to take advantage of the readiness boost from conquering a country… so that he could use that readiness boost for an offensive at a later date… perhaps even his assault on the pacific?

I thought to myself… it’s a shame that French Indochina would be used in such a way and also a greater shame that the potential income from that country was being wasted… so well… the Chinese kind of declared war and invaded.

world-war-ii-chinese-soldiers-marching-everett1.jpg

These are the Chinese forces that marched from the Nanning front into Hanoi occupying the city.

49-FrenchIndo-China.jpg

The Chinese were able to loot the city for 40 MPP and likely will be able to use the readiness boost this coming turn. I suspect that Jim will be a little miffed by my blatant action… however should he ever be able to evict the Chinese from Hanoi he will have the satisfaction of knowing that he will have liberated the city and gained himself a valuable ally. Sadly… there will be no readiness boost for him to take advantage of.

Crispy to answer your question... I have been able to make significant gains against China... in the south when I commit early. It takes effort and a lot of income but it can be done... and in this game China does not get easily steamrolled. I believe you can take China but it is much easier to manage it by making gains in the south... while putting more resources toward knocking eith Austrailia or India out of the war.

Jim invaded the USSR and hit me hard on the border as I expected. He is currently working his way through my speed bumps and it’s late September. I felt that I had a bit of time (as in the coming winter) so I prepared operations elsewhere, which I will describe in a moment.

I will admit I was surprised that his armor is not upgraded. He probably is going for mass of units as opposed to a mix quantity/quality wise with the intention of upgrading them later. I think this is a risky strategy.

53-DecisionB.jpg

I received an interesting decision event… I think many of you have seen this one before. I will let Jim guess which one I went with.

53-FinnishInvasionB.jpg

Due to the lateness of the invasion… with winter coming on… I invaded Finland to pre-empt the Finnish from entering the war on Jim’s terms. I was successful in knocking out a Finnish corps, securing a town, advancing deep and hammering his HQ… which will translate into lower supply next turn. Note the Soviet armor upgraded to level 2. I think that Finland has now become a crisis for the German high command to worry about.

53-PersiaInvasion.jpg

The Soviets also invaded Perisa… knocking out the defending corps and capturing the capitol. I also had a force invade the north of the country to insure it surrendered. The Persians surrendered and the Soviets looted 70+ income. The importance of this invasion is the securing of oil and added revenue for the Soviets as they will begin to lose income as the Germans advance.

There was a lot of action at sea… just off of Scotland, where Jim had positioned 4 subs. Nothing was knocked out… but I was able to open the Canadian convoy route again and damage Jim. I had a number of DD’s just out of range.

In North Africa… the British continued their advance unopposed. There seem to be no Italians about. In East Africa… British forces assaulted an Italian garrison north of Addis Ababa.

Back to Jim.

I will admit I was surprised that his armor is not upgraded. He probably is going for mass of units as opposed to a mix quantity/quality wise with the intention of upgrading them later. I think this is a risky strategy.

This is anything but surprising and certainly not a result of Jim's strategy.

The SU starts with Heavy Tank Tech 1, the Germans with none. And the first turns there is a lot to do and too less MPP and a too small research capacity for Germany. If they have no luck with tank research, the things will go like in your game. In my game vs. HvS it's the same.

Maybe this should be better balanced with the next patch.

In my games I never have a problem researching tech 2 by June 1942.

I also. ;) But didn't we talking about June 1941?

Anyway ...

The Russians start with 1 Tech advance and because they have nothing important to do with their MPP it's easy to keep this advance over the time.

I also. ;) But didn't we talking about June 1941?

Anyway ...

The Russians start with 1 Tech advance and because they have nothing important to do with their MPP it's easy to keep this advance over the time.

The lack of tech for German armour isn't by design or planning (well, except perhaps BAD planning. Letting Italy have France may not have been the brightest move I've ever made. Germany could build units for arrival in '41 or upgrade armour. I chose to have more units, although there is tech coming thankfully!

40_zps5393e46f.jpg

40a_zps07bdd4f3.jpg

40b_zps3b2ae555.jpg

40c_zps20c0eb4d.jpg

(GAME NOTE: I will pay for my decision to give France to Italy, I fear. I'm facing superior Russian technology right now, and the advance will be hampered by this. Stopping to upgrade is a pain, but will be necessary unless I want to lose my armour really fast.

The attack on Finland by Marc is a good move---it forces me to send Germans to support Finland, or risk losing it. I may lose it anyway. Killing his Baltic Fleet helps a bit.

West of Ireland, where Marc's DD's attacked my subs, the wolf pack in turn destroyed a British DD group before moving off. I like to group my subs---it gives great counter-attack ability plus the first DD to discover the pack usually takes a beating because of the surprise element.)

DATELINE TOKYO: Nanning has fallen to Japanese Forces! Chinese morale plummets!! Long Live the Emperor!!!

(No photos or maps released by GHQ, with a need for secrecy being given as the reason)

I have never had a problem researching Infantry 2 and Armor 2 for Germany. Germany begins with plent of units... and I think it is of critical importance to get those 2 techs in place by June 41. I think this is simply a matter of play style.. and I beg to differ on Russia... you need units... units units... and then some just to hold off Germany. Buying tech, which is critical... keeps you from buying the untis you need. I actually got risky in our game because Jim gave France to Italy... I suspected that the German assault would not be as bad as it normally is... so I took a risk and put more into tech than I normally would have. Next turn I will post the Russian tech picture.

Germany continues to push into Russia. Jim is currently working his way through my speed bumps. The Russians did manage a few limited counter attacks this turn inflicting some casualties on the advancing Germans. I have been keeping my muscle well out of way as I gather my offensive firepower. I would say we are pretty close to having the first major ground battle of the war in the East in at least 2 places. Stay tuned!

55-Finland.jpg

In Finland I was able to roll over the surviving Finnish corps on the frontier. My army blitzed inward striking Jim’s Finnish HQ and knocking him down to 1 step before he retreated. Next turn I will begin the assault on Helsinki. It will be interesting to see if Jim manages to bring in reinforcements or really dares. Anything he brings in is likely to be lost. Notice that not all of my units are upgraded! I don't have the cash for that and must be selective in where I spend. I got risky and put a lot into tech, which will be described below.

I promised a screen shot of Russian tech and technology purchases. Here it is.

55-RussianTech.jpg

Notice my heavy investment in production instead of industrial technology. This means that my units are much less expensive. As the Germans destroy bucket loads of Russian units… it means that I can much easier purchase them back… meaning that my income goes further.

Also note my investment in motor, industry and fighter. I made sure I had at least 1 in each. I have a number of fighters deployed and this will help with air defense. Jim has a large air force… between Germany and Italy… and anywhere I can bleed his strength I will.

Industry bumps up production… but my motor allows my upgraded armor to launch a surprise attack form out of view. This all combines to help me achieve my goal of inflicting heavy casualties on Jim during the first months of the war in the East. The Germans out number me at the moment, however I feel I have the combat power to hammer him hard and keep him from knocking Russia out of the war early. I don’t have enough for a knockout blow… yet… that will take time and a lot of effort on my part. It will also require help from the western allies. Likely Jim and I will have a couple major engagements before winter sets in… over winter we will rebuild our armies and then go at it again in Spring/Summer 42. That campaign season will probably decide the game, though it will take several years for it all to come to an end.

Right now Russia is making in excess of 450 a turn… and my income will continue to increase over the next few turns. I will invest in 1 chit additional tech a turn until I max out, while spending the remainder on replacements and units.

No other pictures in Russia as I am maintaining operational security.

In the Atlantic I managed to locate and destroy another German sub.

55-China.jpg

In Asia… China went over to the offensive in the center of the country. Jim advanced 2 armies forward with poor supply. I had several units supported by two HQ’s waiting for him to test my defensive line and this was too good an opportunity to ignore.

55-ChinaNorthOffensive.jpg

I was able to shatter the damaged army.

In the South Jim took Nanning. The Chinese advanced a division in the south and attacked an exposed bomber doing some damage. The US has placed an oil embargo on Japan and any damage I cause him hurts that much more.

The Japanese are now advancing on Hanoi. We are into late October and he must be preparing for his attack on Pearl Harbor and his offensive against the Pacific. There was literally no action from the Japanese for over a year… so I am wondering what surprises he has in store for me. Japan can be the game changer.

That said… I have managed a few surprises for him that I hope will slow him down.

I thought I would post a few more screen shots to show you how valuable production tech can be.

55-RussianBuilds.jpg

Here you can see what is left in my build pool… really a whole lot. Notice that all of my fighters are deployed and nearly all of my divisions… aka speed bumps. Those two were destroyed. Notice the cost for a fully upgraded mechanized unit. 250 as opposed to 280… a savings of 30!!!

55-ReplacementDivision.jpg

A fully upgraded replacement division costs me 49!!! (This is a division that was shattered in combat.) My savings on the Mechanized unit due to my level 3 production tech is more than half of the value of a replacement division!

55-Armor.jpg

Note the 33 savings with an armor unit!

It cost me 400 in research expenses… but you can see how rapidly Russia can make that money back through cost savings in unit production and replacements.

I did not start purchasing units with Russia until I had production 2. Why waste that income? I feel with Russia you usually begin the war at a disadvantage and need to maximize your production so that over time you can be competitive. This is one way to do that.

With luck by 42… I will be have a great many more units in the build.

41_zpsaaa9dfbd.jpg

41a_zps011b31df.jpg

(GAME NOTE: Despite my late start and lack of certain key technologies that I wanted in place before invading Russia, I'm getting where I want to be in the north. Minsk is the only city I don't yet have that I do want to have---that should be no problem.

What is a problem is Finland. I hated to move the Helsinki defender, but the only way I could bring in Germans was to move him out. I attacked with that unit first, pushing back the Russian infantry. While I know that the un-entrenched German corps may well be lost, along with its companion division, another turn or two of delay can be a big help---I don't want to see those Russian tanks back in Russia before the end of 1941.

In the south, around Kiev and Dnepropetrovsk I didn't do anything worth mentioning this turn, other than strengthen some units, and move some other units to good positions. Judging by what is facing me in the south, I expect that I WILL take Kiev before the end of 1941 but will NOT take Dnepropetrovsk. But if I can take the mine next to it, that would be helpful.

The Japanese move last turn of exposing a couple of armies wasn't as random as it may have appeared. Frankly they were bait. Because they are armies, I felt safe in exposing them because they are hard to destroy---low risk proposition it seemed to me. But Marc did not fully cooperate! He moved a couple of his units out, but not quite to where I needed them to go. So while I was able to punch back, it wasn't with the full force of what I had prepared for him. I'll have to try again later.

In the south, Japanese units have started to encircle Hanoi, and otherwise just resting up.

We are close to seeing Japan go to war with the USA. To make a coordinated attack on whatever targets Japan wants to go after requires forward planning. I am finding that this requires not just plotting the travel times to various targets, but also the cost---amphibious operations are expensive so I'm juggling three factors: time, distance and money.

While I cannot disclose pictures, maps, units involved, I can tell you that certain operations are already underway. Warships and transports are moving, now, to fulfill their set goals.)

Only one screen shot this turn. There was heavy fighting in Finland. I destroyed the Finnish HQ, broke the German defensive line... mauling a German corps and nearly managed to take Helsinki. I wanted to cost the Germans cash… and I am doing just that. Finland has become a debacle for the German High Command. Time to evacuate Helsinki I wonder and salvage a bad situation? I wonder...

57-Finland.jpg

I toyed with the idea of opening a major offensive this turn… but then looked at the date. We are into late November. Winter is coming. I can wait. It snowed across much of the front.

In the Atlantic I found 2 more German U-Boats. One is safely resting on the bottom. The other was damaged.

In China there was very heavy fighting in the center as the Chinese attacked a Japanese army and drove it back. They also hammered a Japanese division.

In North Africa… Tripoli came under heavy aerial bombardment as UK ground forces approached the city. In Italian East Africa commonwealth forces have closed a ring around Addis Ababa… sealing the fate of the Italians holding out there.

AXIS UPDATE FOR NOVEMBER 23, 1941

Minimal action this turn as I get ready for winter in Russia, and...something in the Pacific :)

The Allies are learning that finding U-boats comes at a cost---one of them discovered in the eastern Atlantic had friends nearby, and knowing that most of the enemy destroyers were near Iceland, the wolf pack had a great time sinking a Canadian DD unit.

Economic warfare continues to pay off for Germany---31 mpp's last turn, and 39 mpp's this turn.

Next turn I should have some maps and pictures to post, along with something newsworthy.

EDIT:

Oh, and I decided to leave the German units in Finland---the cost of transporting them home isn't worth the trouble. Rebuilding them from "cadre" status is not that expensive and will allow me to deploy them where I want them. Plus, they will cost the Russians something to get rid of them.

Turn wise… it was very interesting. I spotted the main body of the IJN via intelligence off of Pearl. They are not where I actually expected them to be… but very interesting. Jim may be attempting a landing on the West coast of the US… which could prove very interesting or he could be just setting up to hit Pearl from an odd direction.

Jim’s U-Boats suffered very badly as he learned I had 6 DD’s within reach of where he sunk a DD last turn. I hammered his wolf pack something fierce. As a result I was able to clear the convoy routes once again of German U-Boats. In the last few turns… Jim’s U-Boats have taken a real beating.

tripoli21.jpg

Tripoli fell this turn. North Africa is mine. Italian morale took a massive hit, which should effect combat capability. In this picture you can see victorious British forces entering the city.

59-Tripoli.jpg

Here is a shot of the city falling. Addis Ababa in Italian East Africa will be next. I was able to destroy an Italian garrison and also begin working on Jim’s Special forces unit there. I have a lot of free British units now… where should I send them?

In Finland Helsinki was captured though the Finns are soldiering on.

59-Finland.jpg

Across Russia I launched a number of limited attacks. I did conduct a spoiling attack with armor in the south, mauling a corps and forcing it to retreat from Stalino. Zhukov led that operation. The weather has deteriorated… and it is making operations difficult. I expect that things will become more difficult for Jim in the coming turns. Especially when my winter offensive kicks off.

Nothing really to report in Asia. I am very interested to learn what the Japanese are up to.

This will be a very lengthy series of posts, as Japan decides to stir things up in the Pacific.

In some ways, this will be a "real time" posting, because I am dumping screen prints as my operation unfolds----because the forum limits me to five pictures per post, it's going to take some time. As I write these words, even I don't know how this operation will end, because I am jumping from game, to my photo editing software, then to PhotoBucket and then to this forum.

Here we go:

42_zps5a4b4d6a.jpg

42a_zps9d0bd578.jpg

42b_zpse5e92290.jpg

42c_zps12dc2e38.jpg

42d_zps0c3df5d4.jpg

42j_zps179661b4.jpg

42k_zps289162aa.jpg

(GAME NOTE: My attack for Japan against the USA and UK was a bit mis-timed, so the date is a bit later than I wished, and some of my amphibious operations are a bit slow off the mark. But all in all, I am happy with this first turn for Japan in the Pacific.)

42L_zps05c3982c.jpg

42m_zps85fbfe8f.jpg

(GAME NOTE: Finland is done; I am uncertain if I will retain the Finnish air unit or not, but I evacuated it anyway. I am happy that Minsk fell this turn; and glad that I stopped advancing otherwise because at the end of this turn, Russian winter struck, and although I don't know what my losses are yet, I could hear sound effects that tell me that some, perhaps many units lost strength. In the south, I did nothing---Kiev will have to wait another turn or two.)

Jim surprised me by raiding the west coast with carriers. I suspected it might happen so I moved my carriers months ago to a safe place. Jim has to be wondering where my carriers are? I went after a light carrier off the Hawaiian islands with 2 fighters and a cruiser that had low supply and had no chance to escape. Sadly I only was able to inflict limited damage on the carrier.

I launched a major Chinese offensive in Southern China slamming into Japanese lines with fantastic results. Jim’s main body pushed over to Hanoi. I was waiting for that and the opening of the war with the west before I opened my offensive.

61-China.jpg

Here you can see the start of the offensive.

61-Chinaoffensive2.jpg

Here you can see the offensive in mid swing… destroying a Japanese army and the fortifications with it. The fortifications are interesting because I think they demonstrate no real intent on Jim’s part to press the Chinese. Perhaps that was his strategy all along. If so, I think it might cost him deeply.

Notice that the Chinese forces are upgraded to level 2 infantry. Not pressing the Chinese for a long period of time permits significant investments into tech and new units. As a result… Jim suddenly has a crisis on his hands in southern china.

In the Atlantic I hammered a number of U-Boats to little effect… poor weather contributed to them slipping away.

I was able to use strategic bombers from Africa this turn against an Italian mine… costing the Italians cash and building up experience. The fighting is still going on for Italian East Africa. It is a miserable place to fight. Once Addis Ababa, which is a national morale center, surrenders… I think the Italians are in real trouble. Italian morale was at 42% this turn and dropping fast. Continued casualties, the loss of the bulk of the Italian fleet and the British holding most of the Italian towns and cities in North Africa and Italian East Africa that generate NM are bleeding the Italians rapidly.

61-Germanlosses.jpg

On the Russian front… the Germans in Northern Russia took a massive hit due to General winter this turn. The Russians launched a major offensive in Southern Russia with limited results. I mauled and pushed back an army and did some damage to other units… however winter is really affecting combat operations.

I was able to finish off the German forces in Finland, destroying the remnants of a division. Finland surrendered this turn and gave Russia a nice boost cash and readiness wise. Those forces that were used to subdue Finland have begun moving back toward Leningrad. Operations for the remainder of winter will be limited and it is now time to begin preparing for Spring operations against Germany.

Overall I am very pleased with my progress game wise. I think Italy and Germany are in trouble long term. The UK has a very large army… that is now essentially free to operation elsewhere. The US is in the war… Japan… it is harder to read. Jim did not invade the Philippians, the DEI or Singapore and there was no real blitz of the Pacific. Only a few isolated islands were attacked… On one he found a garrison holding the town and was unable to dislodge it, effectively stranding a special forces unit without support. I really do not know what Japan has planned. Will there be an invasion of the west coast? Or is Japan’s offensive in the Pacific simply delayed due to distances? I am unsure. Japan has a large fleet. I have no idea where he is going and where his main focus will be… I do know where the bulk of his fleet is however… which could mean an invasion of the west coast. He can invade and have some initial success… however it will not prove to be the solution to his long-term income problems… especially with the war in China becoming suddenly very hot.

He does not know where the US fleet is at… and he’s also lost track of much of the British fleet, including 4 carriers that were in the med… where are they? I wonder…

Time to regroup; the Chinese are proving feistier than I expected this early, and so I withdrew away from Changsha, but not before heavily damaging the Chinese armour.

I expect next turn to lose some more submarines, as I stumbled into another British DD.

On the American west coast, my cruisers and destroyers continue searching for American carriers, to no avail.

In Russia I am just digging in, holding on until spring. Axis readiness in Russia is very low right now.