After action reports

Guest PatB_TGN

Thomm wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Sir, a tank [marker 1] has hit us with HE while we attacked that pillbox [marker 2], we lost our leader. Also, that machine gun (?) [marker 3] tries to get at us. Awaiting instructions !"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, I see what you are getting at. *hrm* But the typical turn in the game would result in vast amount of information. Lets see, it would be something like this:

"Sir, we were ordered to go over here [marker 1] but we decided to go over here [marker 2] since it was faster and offered us cover. We also received fire from [marker 3 (Tank?)], so we hit the deck. [Marker 3] attack yielded 1 loss and forced minor suppression. [Marker 3 (Tank?)] withdrew from its position after receiving fire from [Marker 4 (M-10-Friendly)]. We proceeded to stand up and rush to our final position [marker 2], but came under fire again from three enemy platoons [Marker 5, 6, and 7 (MG?)].

There's really too much information going on in one turn when the action is hot and heavy. I rightly can't see how an effective dialogue 'box' could be constructed and adminstered for the reader. IF anything, this sort of dialogue would lengthen a typical turn. There would be more keystrokes and more mouse clicking to get rid of these boxes. When a turn is executed, the game moves along at a reasonable clip/speed without sacrificing playability.

Personally, I really enjoy watching the replay feature. The game, still being very realistic, immerses the player into a 'movie-like' aspect.

Doug wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>HEY! Is Pat playing CM too? Aw man, I shoulda learned website stuff! Stupid history degree doesn't even let me play test-builds of games.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's nothing stupid about history. smile.gif However, the answer to your question is, "I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of Nuclear Weapons." *grin*

-Patrick

[This message has been edited by PatB_TGN (edited 09-02-99).]

"There's nothing stupid about history."

Actually, I got the degree in history because it was the only thing I could commit myself to studying for 4.5 years.

"However, the answer to your question is, "I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of Nuclear Weapons." *grin*"

Pat, I weep bitter tears for your soul, for you are going to hell for the sin of taunting starving people with filet mignon.

DjB

[This message has been edited by Doug Beman (edited 09-02-99).]

Dear Patrick !

Thanks for your comment ! Meanwhile I came to the conclusion that the threat evaluation information (which I was most concerned about) is already available. I remembered the yellow lines I have seen in this context. So I conclude by disagreeing with myself and agree that it would be luxury to have a verbal description of something that is visualized anyway (if I understand correctly).

Regards, Thomm

[This message has been edited by Thomm (edited 09-02-99).]

Thomm,

You just beat me to it. I was just about to say that everything you talked about wanting to see in writing is actually present visually already in a much more readily understandable way.

You can SEE tracers, see whom is targetting whom, whether units are pinned or not, their strength, etc etc just by clicking on them during the move phase or plotting phase.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I do not want to waste my (rare) personal time having to look for information I am supposed to have, even if it is "only" a mouse-click away <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thomm,

you're right. As far as info is concerned which you're supposed to have, then you should get it as easy as possible. This is one of the points where CM excels, IMO. The UI is incredibly easy to handle, much better than in any other wargame I've seen before. The problem I mentioned is when you can get a lot of info you're not supposed to have all too easily. You know what I mean - no battalion commander would know the manpower of all of the squads in the battle area at the the click of a mouse. That's what I ment with Fog of War.

Anyway, don't want to stir up an already cold coffee... smile.gif