PBEM Units Stuck?

I did try to seacrh for this, but the PBEM topic just returns too many results so I appologize if this has been covered.

I am in a Last Defense PBEM game right now between a PC (opponent, Allies) and a Mac (Me, Axis)

On several turns I have been unable to issue orders to some/most of my vehicles. I can select them, but if I try to issue orders by keyboard there is no response, and if I try to access the order menu by mouse it won't come up. I believe on one turn this also affected a couple of infantry squads.

The particularly odd thing is that quitting and resarting CM doesn't seem to help, but restarting the machine and re-running sometimes does. Overall it is somewhat random on a per-run basis for the same PBEM file which units are affected (but it always involves the vehicles when it happens). As you can imagine, it is quite distressing to lose control of my Tiger/Stugs/Halftracks early in the game... My last turn I never was able to get the app to allow orders for some units. It will be interesting to see if the Tac AI still allows them to operate on their own.

One other note - If a unit is 'stuck' it's pending orders (ie unfinished movement) do not display when all paths are shown, but if a re-load of the file makes the unit available again they do show back up.

For reference I am running on a G3/400mhz powerbook w/128 meg and OS9, and use Claris E-Mailer to download the files from AOL uncompressed.

Chris

You can only issue order when the (GO) button is showing. If the (go) button hasn't shown, don't stress. Just do what ever it tells u until you see the (go) button. You should do a search about pbem games to follow how they work.

Hope this help, maybe someone can explain better smile.gif

G

Coffee - thanks, but that's not the issue.

If it wasn't clear, the problem is that when issuing orders SOME units, generally vehicles, will not accept orders while the others operate just fine.

One final piece of info just occurred to me - I believe this problem only happens on turns where I issue orders immediately after watching the movie (ie when I generate the small PBEM file).

[This message has been edited by C Colapietro (edited 12-14-99).]

I don't think there was an answer in the other thread. I know I made a post along the lines of just reopening the file. I';ve only had this occur once, and I was unable to reproduce it. I just resaved the file from my e-mail, and reopened it and I was able to access all of my units... Sorry I can't be more helpful then that...

Yes,actually I think it was Ben's suggestion that I mentioned above.I haven't had a chance to try it yet,because it hasn't happened to me since that thread.I should mention,though,that I believe it has only happened to me when I(PC user) am plaing email against a Mac user.Perhaps that is part of the problem.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...