New Scenario: Battle of Vienna

Just uploaded my first sceanrio at the Repository, should be approved until tomorrow. Its dedicated to be used with the awesome Euroscape mod and supposed to fill the gap of a dense, central European city. I couldnt find such a map in the Repository or among the stock maps, so i made one.

www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=2599

Text from the Repositroy:

"DESCRIPTION:

Set during fictional World War 3, 2-12 Cav (US) clahes with elements of the (Russian) 423rd Guards Mot. Rifle Regiment and elements of the 12th Guards Tank Regiment in a dense central European urban environment. The map is based on the 20th district of city of Vienna, my hometown and capital of Austria. Although all recognizeable areas, buildings and the main traffic lanes are present, many things were changed to speed up mapmaking and to meet the limitations of the Scenario Editor. I built most of the map from my memory (lived there for 12+ years), trying to captue the spirit of the city rather than making an accruate model using staelite images.

In short:

Size: Huge, combined arms

Map: Urban, dense. Also has a river, 2 bridges and a very large park.

Type: Assault

REQUIREMENTS:

CMSF Base game

NATO module

USMC module

Euroscape mod (although technically not not required, the scenario wouldnt make much sense without it.)

RECOMMENDED:

marsh-to-water mod

COMMENTS

This is my first try at the Scenario Editor. You can contact me at the battlefront.com fforums, i use the same nick there. I dont live on the map IRL but ~500 meters off-map, so you cant bomb my house if you dont like the scenario :)."

Going to add some screenshots and photographs of the IRL locations later.

Wow - great map. I didnt know there was a flak tower in vienna.

Thanks , glad to hear you like it :). Actually there are 3 pairs of flak towers in vienna, each consisting of one round "combat tower" that had lots of guns (including a twin 88mm) and one rectangular "command tower" wich had a radar. The tower depicted in the game is the Augarten combat tower:

Runder_Flakturm_Augarten.jpg

However it actually looks more like the Augarten command tower:

augarten_l03.JPG

Flaktower pairs location:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Wiener_flaktuerme.jpg/600px-Wiener_flaktuerme.jpg

L = Command

G = Combat

Thanks , glad to hear you like it :). Actually there are 3 pairs of flak towers in vienna, each consisting of one round "combat tower" that had lots of guns (including a twin 88mm) and one rectangular "command tower" wich had a radar. The tower depicted in the game is the Augarten combat tower:

Runder_Flakturm_Augarten.jpg

However it actually looks more like the Augarten command tower:

augarten_l03.JPG

Flaktower pairs location:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ea/Wiener_flaktuerme.jpg/600px-Wiener_flaktuerme.jpg

L = Command

G = Combat

What are they used for now ? Can you visit them ?

very nice. Good job on the Flak Tower.

Thanks.

What are they used for now ?

The Augarten flak tower pair is currently not used and also not accessible for the public. Both were slightly damaged when the Russians took the city in 1945 (one can still see a few impact marks from large calibre direct fire weapons) and the combat tower took severe internal structural damage when an ammunation storage was acidentially detonated by playing kids in 1946. Both Augarten flak towers are home to probably 10.000s of pigeons.

The Stiftskaserne/Esterhazy park combat tower is used by the Austrian military as depot and command bunker AFAIK. The Stiftskaserne/Esterhazy park command tower is currently home to a huge public aquarium ("House of the Sea"). Its also acts as memorial site and there is a poem (english & german) written on it:

tumblr_lza12fhuXK1qaruxco1_1280.jpg

The Arenbergpark Flaktowers are currently bothe used as depots, one by the Austrian military, one by local government of the city of Vienna and an art museum.

Can you visit them ?

You can always visit the Esterhazy park command tower and take a tour through the aquarium. If you want a more historical tour through a flaktower, you will have to catch an occasional exhibition by the art museum that uses the Arenbergpark combat tower as depot and as place for exhibitions.

I saw a documentary about one being converted to apartments...

There was a discussion about that but AFAIK they dropped the idea and the flaktowers became protected memorial sites. Using them is okay, but applying significant changes to their structure or appearance is not.

Interesting... You wouldn't have thought they'd be "protected memorial sites" just yet.

Hey, maybe they're saved cos they could be used again as modern AAA towers? I was thinking about the London Olympics where discomforted tenants of high rises found AAA batteries installed on their roofs.

;1429464']They were never removed because they are made of (practically) solid reinforced concrete. Blowing them up would flatten the city around.

Spoken like a true wargamer! The only conceivable way to demolish a building is to blow it up :D.