Few problems

I ... don't think it is. Although if you knew what you were doing you'd be able to recreate it from the info that MMs tool produces.

No, the script is a simple text file. It isn't edittable within the editor at all - all that has to be done outside the game on Notepad, or something similar. Actually, I'm not even sure the script is included in the .cam file at all. I think the script is used to compile the .cam, but doesn't become part of it (if that makes sense?).

JonS is right, the campaign script is not part of the .cam file in its original form.

It is just a set of instructions for the campaign generation process of CMx2's scenario editor how to create a campaign. Thankfully, the important information will be written into the .cam file in directly readable format, i.e. it is not encrypted.

Wikipedia explains really everything... :)

Ok, I put together a VERY bare bones eternal campaign. This is the first time for me for a campaign and even a scenario. So please bear with me.

I came so far as to compile the campaign but CM got stuck. I killed the process after a few minutes. Or does it take so long?

The files are here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8811801/Eternal.zip

Could someone please take a look?

Hi poesel,

I can confirm that your campaign crashes CMBN ;).

I will have a look and see if I can provide any help.

The concept could be quite interesting, maybe if we get it to work, we could test it with a very small force to assess its feasibility?

Cheers,

Mike

Wikipedia explains really everything... :)

Ok, I put together a VERY bare bones eternal campaign. This is the first time for me for a campaign and even a scenario. So please bear with me.

I came so far as to compile the campaign but CM got stuck. I killed the process after a few minutes. Or does it take so long?

The files are here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8811801/Eternal.zip

Could someone please take a look?

OK, had a look, there were some problems with the script, most noteably a strange "line termination" at some of the lines in the script file (very likely, those were responsible for the crash).

Also, I deleted all the spaces between the [markup] and the actual content (probably not really necessary).

Lastly, I renamed the battles to get rid of the hyphens ("-") in the names, since this will produce an error as well.

The result can be checked here, a campaign file, which I also checked with my "Scenario Organisor". It should work, I guess:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30942618/eternal_MM.zip

Of course all the inputs are attached as well, so you can try and change it for yourself.

The concept could be quite interesting, maybe if we get it to work, we could test it with a very small force to assess its feasibility?

Yes, that would be cool. The campaign is currently a platoon of US infantry against a platoon of grenadiers on a 208x208m sized map. Time is 10 minutes and replenishments between battles set to 100%. Only the first map is somehow prepared. The others are still pool tables with a house or bunkers.

This was just thrown together to test the whole setup and get a feeling how this would work out.

Yes, that would be cool. The campaign is currently a platoon of US infantry against a platoon of grenadiers on a 208x208m sized map. Time is 10 minutes and replenishments between battles set to 100%. Only the first map is somehow prepared. The others are still pool tables with a house or bunkers.

This was just thrown together to test the whole setup and get a feeling how this would work out.

Sounds ideal, you can set it up and send me a dropbox invite, my EMail can be found over at FGM. :)

Hold on a minute. Are you saying you can play a campaign via PBEM? Last time this came up that was not possible. Let me know if that has changed.

No, damn, of course you're right Ian. Can't play via PBEM or RT, only Hotseat is allowed. So I guess that rules out any multiplayer tests.

Wait, what? Why can't Campaigns not be played by PBEM?

I just looked through the manual and it says you can play RT or Wego. It does say nothing about PBEM. But if a human opponent is allowed I naturally assumed I could play PBEM.

If H2H campaigns are only RT or hotseat then I've no further interest in this. I don't play RT and have no one for hotseat..

Wait, what? Why can't Campaigns not be played by PBEM?

I just looked through the manual and it says you can play RT or Wego. It does say nothing about PBEM. But if a human opponent is allowed I naturally assumed I could play PBEM.

If H2H campaigns are only RT or hotseat then I've no further interest in this. I don't play RT and have no one for hotseat..

Yeah, I'm afraid the manual is to be interpreted as "RT and Wego for Single Player only".

If you try to start your Eternal campaign, you will see the options available:

- 1 Player PBEM

- 1 Player RT

- 2 Player Hotseat

The interesting options for 2 Player games are greyed out and can't be selected.

Well, it was a nice idea anyway... :(

Ah, nuts. I didn't notice those were greyed out because I just wanted to get into both sides to check it worked. That a campaign game can't be saved in PBEM format is, frankly, flabbergasting.

On the face of it, it might seem flabbergasting.

But you have to keep in mind how campaigns are handled. The campaign file (.cam file) contains all scenarios which are part of the campaign. If you do a save at any point during the campaign, the created .bts file will contain all scenarios which are still potentially ahead of the player in the campaign flow. This can be verified if you look at the size of your campaign save files, which get progressively smaller the further the player progresses in the campaign.

For a PBEM of the Scottish Corridor (.cam file size approx. 57 MB) or Kampfgruppe Engel (.cam file size approx. 33 MB) this could give turn files of up to 70 MB. This could have been a consideration of BFC when they decided not to allow campaigns for PBEM or RT.

Of course this could be handled today since most players (not all, I know) will use dropbox and H2HH. It would still be a massive amount of data and most of it would not even be useful to the particular battle.

On the face of it, it might seem flabbergasting.

<snip>

For a PBEM of the Scottish Corridor (.cam file size approx. 57 MB) or Kampfgruppe Engel (.cam file size approx. 33 MB) this could give turn files of up to 70 MB. This could have been a consideration of BFC when they decided not to allow campaigns for PBEM or RT.

Of course this could be handled today since most players (not all, I know) will use dropbox and H2HH. It would still be a massive amount of data and most of it would not even be useful to the particular battle.

Thanks for the explanation. It is still the single biggest request that I have: allow PBEM campaigns. Frankly I could put up with the file sizes but the fact that there are no PBEM campaigns means I do not play them. The one that I started remains half finished because it is just not as fun playing against the AI. Opening up campaigns to PBEM would be wonderful I would jump up and down for joy.

Re: AT mines. I've tested and not seen the problem. (At least, as described.) Sometimes a sympathetic detonation will trigger a mine not under the tank, but only as/with the one under the tank blows up.

I encountered the problem again. This time the timing is OK, but tank fails to immobilize. Actually this happened twice in this quickbattle! Antitank mines are not reliable enought considering they are expensive and easily avoided (do not use roads). Actually they destroyed halftrack just fine; perhaps the explosive is not powerful enough to immobilize Tigers. Is it possible that heavy weight triggers the mine near the tank?

Sorry, this is bad quality video because I used my mobile phone as an ad-chock screen recording sofware.

I have noticed few problem with this game. I do hope that these problems will be adjusted / fixed when the new game engine will be released.

10) Campaign should be multiplayer friedly. I know that BF does not want to use time to create a proper campaign, but it would be nice if human player would be able to take role of the AI in standard campaign. Who who cares about balance?

Just my opinions.

+1 I think I have mentioned that one a few times since CMSF :)