Scenario end time

How can you tell whether a scenario has extra time, and how much it is. I cannot find it in the briefing. Maybe I am missing something...

From what I've seen, scenarios go into extra time because not all the victory or loss conditions are fully met. Meaning you haven't accomplished (or lost) everything required and/or the AI hasn't lost (or won) everything required of it.

Here's one way to check.

1) Save the current game (in fact, be in the habit to save long and often if your disk permits).

2) Bring up the game menu again.

3) Instead of "save", click "cease fire".

4) Review the battlefield.

Cease Fire calculates victory conditions for that point in time. It lets you look around and see what you've missed. It will show "spoilers" though. Depending on what you learn, you can then reload your saved game and play through to a complete end if you desire to do so. Good luck and good gaming!

1) Save the current game (in fact, be in the habit to save long and often if your disk permits).

2) Bring up the game menu again.

3) Instead of "save", click "cease fire".

4) Review the battlefield.

That is cheating, inst it?!?

Extra time is an option that you specify when designing a scenario.

It can be up to 15 minutes.

Not about victory conditions AFAIK.

If you do not satisfy the victory conditions at time zero, but then satisfy them in overtime, who wins? As far as I am concerned, if you do not meet the victory conditions at time zero, you should not win.

Overtime could be to see "what if I had more time".

AIUI, the primary intention behind adding "extended time" is to create a little bit of uncertainty as to the exact minute a scenario is ending, and in so doing discourage gamey "flag rush" tactics.

particularly in H2H play, competitive players will sometimes try to win by rushing the VLs in the final minute(s) of play, so as to control the VL at the moment the scenario ends.

It's substantially harder to pull off a "gamey" tactic like this if you only know that the scenario ends somewhere between turns 60-70, rather than exactly on turn 65.

But it is probably something SDs should generally describe in the scenario briefing, to avoid any confusion.

If you do not satisfy the victory conditions at time zero, but then satisfy them in overtime, who wins? As far as I am concerned, if you do not meet the victory conditions at time zero, you should not win.

Overtime could be to see "what if I had more time".

Scenario time can be tricky for designers to figure out. Some players will have plenty of time while others won't have enough time. So the option is there to allow some 'variable' time to be added to the end of the scenario by the designer if they choose to allow it. It's a random amount of time from zero extra time up to whatever the designer chooses to add. If the game continues into the variable extra time period that will not have any effect on the outcome of the game other than what you can accomplish within the extra time allotment. The difference now is that the game will end suddenly when the new time limit is reached without you knowing when it will end.