A R/L oddity

I was just about to order CMFI when the announcement came out about the expansion so am waiting for the bundle. (Money was too tight for a while to pick it up right away) So while waiting, I have been reading these boards to bring myself up to speed a bit.

While reading a thread about so many different nationalities fighting in this theater, and given it's length and scope, it occurred to me that something very odd has happened.

When I am out and about, I make it a point to go over to the old veterans when I see them, shake their hand, and ask them about their service. I have been quite fortunate to meet both men and women who served everywhere from Pearl harbor, the fall of Bataan, through D Day and the bulge. Even one man who fought in the Aleutian islands. I have met folks from all branches of service, including a civilian contractor at Pearl who had a rather unique perspective of the battle and the aftermath. I have been privileged to hear some amazing stories that never made it into the history books. But over the course of 40 years I have yet to meet anyone who served in Italy or North Africa. Very strange.

I recommend to anyone to not be shy, and talk to these old vets. Most are touched that anyone still remembers their sacrifice and has an interest in them. You will also learn a lot that you would never know otherwise about the war.

My late grandfather served in Italy. I think. Too late to ask him. I am pretty sure that he became a POW there. The only thing I remember is that he was very impressed by US artillery ("... lifted us meters into the air!").

Other stories included being flown out of Stalingrad ... because of appendicitis.

War was not exactly a popular subject at family gatherings, though.

I wonder what my grandfather thought about me building scale models of stuff he fought with/against, right next to him in his workshop.

Best regards,

Thomm

<snipped>

But over the course of 40 years I have yet to meet anyone who served in Italy or North Africa. Very strange.

I recommend to anyone to not be shy, and talk to these old vets. Most are touched that anyone still remembers their sacrifice and has an interest in them. You will also learn a lot that you would never know otherwise about the war.

A now-deceased uncle on my wife's side of the family served in Italy. He absolutely refused to talk about it, ever. When a grandson, as part of a school project, approached him to ask about his WW2 experiences, he responded point-blank, "No". There were a few purple hearts amongst his military belongings. His story must have been grim. Still, I wish I knew it.

Kudos for your efforts acknowledging the service of the men and women you've approached.

I've met a fair number of Italy vets. My own great uncle was actually a junior officer on General Clark's staff for much of the war. I also met quite a few vets who served with the 10th Mountain Division via my Grandfather -- my Grandfather was actually a Navy officer, but after the war he was heavily involved in the National Ski Patrol and befriended a group of 10th Mt. Div. vets there -- a lot of 10th Mt. Div. vets became involved with the Ski Patrol due to their wartime training.

I also had the good fortune to run into a medical corpsman who served in Italy some years back when I hired him to drive me and my new TV back from the electronics store -- since most New Yorkers don't own private vehicles, "Man With a Van" is a common supplemental income business for people who do have vehicles here in New York City. He was quite a character and talked my ear off about all sorts of experiences during the drive.

Lots of interesting stories.

One of my neighbors, who lived here at the apartments until recently, served as company clerk in Italy. Another who died a few years ago was a B-24 pilot who flew out of Foggia. They both told me a story or two.

Over the years I have met scores if not hundreds of WW II vets. Many that I met during the '50s were still relatively young men at the time. Of course the few left now are quite elderly.

Michael