Intel HD Graphics 4000 (MBP 13")

I'm looking at picking up a new laptop specifically a Macbook Pro 13" and possibly a retina varient.

I've done a search here on the forums and most of the discussions about MBP discuss using a dedicated GPU. However, the 13" MBP only comes with a Intel HD Graphics 4000 integrated chipset.

Does anyone know if this chipset is capable of playing CMBN (MAC)? I'm comfortable with balance/fast graphic settings as CMBN would just an on-the-road or sitting on the Lazy Boy distraction with a little more tactical depth than Bejeweled. :cool:

Thanks for the help gents.

According to here ( http://www.notebookcheck.biz/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000-au-banc-d-essai.76289.0.html ) it's better than a (low end) Radeon HD 7450 or a GeForce 610M, especially if you also have a core i7 in your system.

Up to the 3000M intel graphic cards were pure crap. Apparently they are now acceptable for low / medium end games at relatively low resolutions.

if you got the $$$ I'd rather suggest a GeForce GT 640M.

Hi all!

First post, medium time lurker.

I play the game on a 2012 Macbook Air wich also has the Intel 4000 and it is very much capable of running the game. I run it at 1440*900 with all settings at high/max and a whole bunch of mods active and it runs surprisingly smooth. I suggest using headphones though since the fans will go into overdrive after some time. Oh, and don't make the mistake I did and buy it through the app store, I'm still stuck at version 1.10... Biding my time until the east front arrives...

Here are some screenies to give you an impression of what it looks like.

Skaumlrmavbild2013-02-11kl224455.png

Skaumlrmavbild2013-02-11kl224407.png

Skaumlrmavbild2013-02-11kl224350.png

Skaumlrmavbild2013-02-11kl224338.png

So don't be afraid that it won't run on the 4000 chipset, just make sure you can go to v2.0 if you want to and buy the game through Battlefront instead of Apple...

Yes, the HD4000 plays quite acceptably for small- to medium-sized scenarios, at least on the Macbook Air that I occasionally pull out for purposes similar to your own. It is still an integrated card, and has pretty severe limitations, but it is noticeably better than its predecessors.

I should note here that this comment is for the *Mac* version only. Windows and OSX drivers are very different animals. That goes for good and ill; OSX drivers do occasionally give us heaps of problems.

The BFC version can be updated more quickly, true; Apple has review policies that can severely delay release of products. We do intend to release upgrades and patches (starting with 1.11) for the Mac version as soon as possible.

Cool. Let me know if you have trouble, Bison.

Note about my post above: when I said "we intend to release patches and upgrades for the Mac version ASAP" I meant "for the App Store version", since only App Store stuff is generally delayed - patches and whatnot for the non-App-Store Mac version are released alongside the PC version.

Well so far everything seems to run very well on the Intel card. To be fair, I haven't played any sizable battles yet just the tutorials and a small battle. That being said the graphics look really nice. The one issue is that my magic mouse seems to loose it's scrolling settings in game and so mouse features like zoom in/out and panning are slow not game breaking but it's there.

The really nice thing is that Best Buy gave me the thumbs up to bring it back and exchange it for a 15" if I'm not happy with the laptop. Very cool.

To compare to more modern equipment, my desktop has some very low stats.

AMD X2 7550 Dual-Core 2.5ghz

3GB RAM

EVGA nVidia 9800GT 512MB

Vista 32-bit

With this system, I run CMBN cranked all the way up. As far as what I have read, the 9800GT still hangs, but it's like a low end card these days capability wise. I don't see why CMBN would give any somewhat modern integrated graphics system any trouble with that in mind.

chirpie,

EXCELLENT first post! Screenshots, courtesy, helpful hints: you've reached the pinnacle. There is, of course, only one direction to go from the top. Post number 2 will never meet our expectations. Sad, really.

;)

Ken

Yes, sad that it is all downhill for poor chirpie from here on out. Promising Lad, too, eh wot? More's the pity.