Game manual

Hello grognards!

CMBN somehow slipped under my radar but now I know about it and I'm just restraining myself a bit in order to make an "informed decision" when I purchase it. So far I have only played the game demo and watched a few of Armchair General videos.

One thing that has impressed me is the game manual. Wow! A pity it doesn't come in print form... or does it? While checking my purchase options, I noticed that the CMBN+Commonwealth bundle does not contain a print manual, but the 2.0 upgrade does contain a print manual (download & mail option). So, a few questions on this:

1. I am in the UK. Will they ship the game and manual to the UK?

2. What exactly is in the manual? Is it a full manual that includes the info on the CMBN manual? Or just a manual detailing the 2.0 upgrade changes?

3. What does the manual look like? Perfect-bound? Stapled? Leather-encased? :D

4. Will there be any additional shipping charges for sending to the UK?

Really looking forward to this game, I'm loving the lessons I'm learning in the demo at the moment.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I can´t answer your questions, but I can give you wee warning regarding shipment of the game:

Several EU gamers have had an unpleasant surprise when recieving the CD ROM and manual by mail: An extra customs charge (import tax?).

In my case the charge - and handling fee from Danish Mail - meant that the game ended up costing nearly twice as much as BFC´s price. :(

I know UK players have been paying extra customs charge as well, so you should consider this risk before ordering the print version.

Previously (before CMBN), BFC have shipped their games to EU clients from Germany - instead of the US - to avoid this. There has been talk about doing that again, but I don´t know how this are now. Perhaps BFC could answer this?

Anyroad, CMBN is an absolutely fantastic game, so this should in no way keep you from purchasing - only consider which way is the optimal.

Cheers

The description says "printed v2.0 Game Engine Manual (112 pages). If you already have CM:Fortress Italy, then you already have this manual."

I don't have Fortress Italy, but I do have the original CMBN printed manual which is 198 pages, so it appears the v2.0 Game Engine Manual would not include all the info in the CMBN manual unless they made the print smaller or the pages bigger.

As umlaut said, unless it has recently changed everything ships from the US, so in addition to international shipping charges you will get socked with the UK's 20% (?) VAT.

The game also comes with a .pdf version of the manual specifically formatted for printing. Given the potential for additional customs charges, you may want to consider whether it would be more convenient and cost-effective to buy the digital only version and print the manual yourself, or bring the file to your local office services store for reproduction -- you should be able to get a ring-bound or velobound copy made for yourself pretty cheaply.

Added benefit of doing it this way is that you can write your own notes in the manual wherever you'd like, without being to concerned about the fact that you're mucking it up -- you can always re-print pages that get too messy, or the entire manual, if needed.

Or, you can just do like me and put a copy of the manual on your iPad for ready reference. The .pdf game manual is fully bookmarked, so navigation is really easy with any half-decent .pdf viewer app.

Just wondered about the 2.0 upgrade manual.... but seems like I'll have to print this out myself too.

Yes. Although there is some overlap, the two manuals are quite different.

I have my iPad as well, but I always find I prefer a "dead-tree" version most of the time.

Me too. In addition to what YD said about marking it up, I always seem to be able to find things faster in a printed book than in an online one.

Michael

Hi Everyone!

(First message here)

I got my physical version of CM:BN + Commonwealth Bundle just this tuesday. I'm living in Germany and it took more than a full month to arrive here from the States.

A long delivery time is normal but this kept me worrying for about two weeks.

So better get yourself a download version unless you really enjoy waiting for something really good. :rolleyes:

Greetings

P.S.: Get the simulation if you like realism!

Keeps me on the edge of my seat all the time. :D

The new way of doing manuals (one for the engine, one for the family/module-specific content) should save on paper in the end. When FI gets upgraded to v3 (no, I know that's not going to be even "Soon tm") just the engine component needs any updating, while the FI manual theoretically shouldn't, much.

Okay, I'm starting to get a little annoyed.

On the Demo, there were 3 manuals available, the full-graphics manual, the printer-friendly manual, and a B&W manual. I liked the B&W one as the details were a bit easier to see, but held off on printing it as I figured the full game + patches might introduce last-minute errata changes. Now I've just finished installing CMBN+Commonwealth, 1.11 patch, and 2.0 update.... and I'm only left with the full-graphics manual and the printer-friendly manual.

Please tell me there's a B&W version somewhere!