AI that needs changing

There are several issues with the AI that in my humble opinion need to be addressed.

1. Spotting ability of tanks. Way too good.

2. Tanks being able to shoot straight up or down.

3. Foxholes and trenches. Too easy to spot.

These I don't think are game changing but will in some battles change the outcome.

We are after perfection, Aren't we?

None of the things you describe are really AI issues; they are technical "game physics" issues, for lack of a better term.

An AI issue would be something to do with how the computer game engine "decides" what a unit actually does when in a given situation, e.g. what a tank "decides" to do once it spots infantry (shoot at it? with which weapon(s)? stop if moving? pop smoke and retreat if closer than a certain range? etc.), not whether or not it spots the infantry in the first place.

The first and last of those aren't really AI problems.

YD: it's the AI not being able to handle the elevation thing that's stopping it being modelled though, so it's an AI-simplifying removal of a RL restriction. "Adjusting" (where's that axe, Ford?) the AI to be able to deal with targets outside depression/elevation limits would mean depression and elevation limits could be implemented.

None of the things you describe are really AI issues; they are technical "game physics" issues, for lack of a better term.

An AI issue would be something to do with how the computer game engine "decides" what a unit actually does when in a given situation, e.g. what a tank "decides" to do once it spots infantry (shoot at it? with which weapon(s)? stop if moving? pop smoke and retreat if closer than a certain range? etc.), not whether or not it spots the infantry in the first place.

Does this make it easier or harder to correct? I'm sadly lacking in knowledge in this area of expertise. This same question to Womble's reply.

Does this make it easier or harder to correct? I'm sadly lacking in knowledge in this area of expertise. This same question to Womble's reply.

My totally wild-ass guess is probably easier. Artificial Intelligence routines are notoriously difficult to program, and even small changes in the variables that go into AI "fuzzy logic" routines can have wildly unpredictable effects. I'm sure that changing the technical simulation routines (such as spotting) requires more than a trivial amount of work, but is probably somewhat easier than changing how a unit "thinks".

@ Womble: Valid point. The elevation/depression thing is at least AI-related, if not directly an AI issue.

While i can understand that the elevation limit is hard to overcome i still think that as long as the issue isnt fixed all infantry at-weapons should be allowed to be fired from inside houses. The current situation (elevation limit and spotting) give the tanks a onesided advantage in town-fighting, something they werent particularly good at.

While i can understand that the elevation limit is hard to overcome i still think that as long as the issue isnt fixed all infantry at-weapons should be allowed to be fired from inside houses. The current situation (elevation limit and spotting) give the tanks a onesided advantage in town-fighting, something they werent particularly good at.

+1

YUP!.

See my sig. You nailed it.