FoW and spotting

In a recent scenario one of my HQ units spotted an SPG on move one. Not having any armour myself, but a fair amount of off-map arty, I directed the unit to hit the Marder (I believe it was) with an 81mm barrage. During the the next few moves, some of my guys popped smoke and it interrupted the LoS, but the barrage landed where I wanted it to, so I was quite confident I'd disabled the enemy vehicle.

Later on a Marder popped up in a slightly different place (on a line between original observer and first SPG).

At the end of the game, there was no evidence of a damaged SPG in amongst the mortar craters form my barrage. What I want to know is: does the FoW extend to units placing spotted elements in the wrong place?

Or was it more likely that that the original had escaped the barrage and managed to move without being seen?

I was playing on "Warrior" difficulty

SPOLIER

This was the "La Hamelet" mission from Road to Monteburg

SPOILER

In a recent scenario one of my HQ units spotted an SPG on move one. Not having any armour myself, but a fair amount of off-map arty, I directed the unit to hit the Marder (I believe it was) with an 81mm barrage. During the the next few moves, some of my guys popped smoke and it interrupted the LoS, but the barrage landed where I wanted it to, so I was quite confident I'd disabled the enemy vehicle.

Later on a Marder popped up in a slightly different place (on a line between original observer and first SPG).

At the end of the game, there was no evidence of a damaged SPG in amongst the mortar craters form my barrage. What I want to know is: does the FoW extend to units placing spotted elements in the wrong place?

Or was it more likely that that the original had escaped the barrage and managed to move without being seen?

I was playing on "Warrior" difficulty

SPOLIER

This was the "La Hamelet" mission from Road to Monteburg

SPOILER

I believe if you see the actual marder then that position is accurate. Every level of FoW before is depicted by the <?> contact markers.