Possible AI opponent bug

I've begun to notice recently that the AI has a tendency to set up on the wrong side of obstructions (walls, hedges), thus receiving no cover/concealment from them. They also frequently set up facing the wrong way and continue to do so even after the action begins.

I have saved turn files from both BN and FI demonstrating this.

Michael

Don't know if this helps but I noticed this problem some time ago when analyzing scenarios. Then I worked on it when I created scenarios myself. If the directionality of the hedge/wall/etc. is ambiguous in relationship to the end of the map designated for the enemy, the AI may set up on the "wrong" side. You have to take special precautions to avoid this in scenario design.

QBs are a much greater challenge, of course.

Not sure if this is the source, but am noticing in playing with the editor that which direction the units face has a lot to do with how you build your AI commands. I have been getting some help and advice in designing and some items are rather tricky to try and get the AI units to do what you want. Note the AI has no concept of the direction the enemy should come from. They will alter their facing based on move commands that can then have them facing the wrong way. It can also be affected in the initial set up.

If you can note which maps you are finding the issues they can be looked at to see if maybe the AI orders can be tweaked a bit.

Another thought:

I haven't played any QBs because I decided I would have to edit the QB maps (especially the AI Plans) first. However, there have been a lot of threads on how the forces end up getting switched to the wrong side in QBs. If the AI is confused about which side the enemy is coming from, that would explain what you are seeing.