Italians invicible!

I'm playing my first game as the CP on easy. I am not doing too badly but I am amazed that the Italians have managed to stomp my Austrians entrenched in the mountains. What gives? They fought 12 battles along the Isonzo and got no where. In my game they have smashed both Austrian detachements and regular corps. They are more effective than the Russians. Which historically was definitely not the case.

Is this usual, or what am I doing wrong?

Without knowing more about the events and setup of what caused your lines to break I"ll just tap in the dark here. Are you using HQ's at the fronts and are you making sure your troops are in good supply(easy problem to have in mountainy areas)

Stat whise the russians and Italians are on par, as are the Austrians.(all 3 got 4/3 I blieve, germany,france,england has 5/4 and Ottoman has 3/3)

The ittalian's are not to be ignored as they have about 8 corps and 2 HQ's so if they managed to gang up on your units they can kill them, but any well used german unit with a common german high level HQ should be able to cause such strong losses the Ittalian units will soon be stopped.(Itally only makes about 100mpp, so while they start with an OK army their HQ's are not onpar and their income doesnt allow for many losses)

Hi Jbeigie

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Sapare in that knowing the circumstances will help. It certainly isn't impossible for the Italians to make some progress as it depends on how fast and how many units the Austro-Hungarians can rush to this area when Italy enters the war. Most importantly, with HQs in support, which is why this new front can slow Austro-Hungarian progress elsewhere.

Historically, the Austro-Hungarians had real trouble filling up the front line in May 1915 and had to use subterfuge, such as units arriving and then secretly leaving an area, only to arrive again later.

ok, I am beginning to see a trend here. No I don't have a HQ with my Austrians. I started with 3 10 factor detachements dug in at level 3 entrenchment.

I guess I am not 100% certain what HQ's do for you. I assume that they improve your readiness but when I looked at my units their readiness didn't appear bad.

If someone can tell me how to take a snap from the game and attach it I'll take one from my game.

I am just a Newbie also, but I am going to take a stab at this.

1. Detachments are very weak compared to Corps, and I think they are mostly used to hold rear/internal areas that just need "someone to be there".

2. I think HQs are vital, affecting Morale, and usually supply, and hence Readiness.

I started my first campaign on "green", because this war, and its strategies, are so foreign to me.

I am just a Newbie also, but I am going to take a stab at this.

1. Detachments are very weak compared to Corps, and I think they are mostly used to hold rear/internal areas that just need "someone to be there".

2. I think HQs are vital, affecting Morale, and usually supply, and hence Readiness.

You're totally right, and without any Corps moved from elsewhere, or better still German Corps, the border will be too weak and the Italians will make gains.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Strategic Command WWI Breakthrough\Screenshots\1916 - 06 - 03.jpg (1).jpg"

Let's see if this works. I've tried both attaching the img from my Italian Front and also inserting it into this message. I've used the screenshot utility in the game to capture the shot.

As you can see I've brought up a bunch of both Austrian and German corps but it still isn't easy killing the Italians.

One thing I have noticed is that the strength value for some corps are a different color than for others. What does that mean?

post-34995-141867624349_thumb.jpg

Hi

Looks like your starting to turn the tide, and the unit strengths that show in a different colour represent the difference in combat readiness due to having either high or low readiness.

Generally, battered units that are low in strength will have lower morale and readiness, and their strength will show in a slightly greyed out colour.

(sorry Xwormwood, I hadn't seen your post above!).