HMG Crew Member Not Deploying & HMG Won't Fire

Sabot6

I'm sure I've seen something on this in the past and my worthy opponent has mentioned that it's been discussed in the forums, but I'm coming up empty when I search. Apologies for not being able to locate the pertinent thread!

Anyway, I've got a HMG that I had set up and deployed at the start of a PBEM game, but one of the soldiers in the crew constantly shows "deploying" and the HMG will not fire (sadly, I've missed several golden opportunities to gun down teams of Rangers who have been moving up on me; it's enough to bring one to tears...). :^)

Without giving too much away, the HMG is behind a wall/looking out a window; I've tried moving the team to another location and redeploying the weapon, but unfortunately this has resulted in the same outcome: the HMG itself shows deployed, as does all of the crew members but one. He's still deploying and the HMG still won't fire.

Any thoughts on how to get the weapon to fire, or should I just consider it to be jammed and move on to Plan B?

Thanks!

Tripod-mounted MGs can be tricky to position in buildings. A combination of restricted space meaning the TacAI's little brain can't find places for all the crew to settle (particularly exacerbated by German HMG teams being so large) and the limited apertures for firing through. The first of these can also apply when you're behind linear obstacles and only have half an AS to cram your crew and their weapon into.

Often, the solution, if there is one, is to use a Face command. Unfortunately, the only way to know if this will work is to try it and wait to see if it resolves the situation, so you'll miss further firing opportunities.

I see this happen occasionally. I don't think I've ever seen the MG team stay in that "deploying" mode for more than a few turns without firing. Usually when it happens, they'll start firing on their own. I've also seen this happen, then they start firing, then it goes back to "deploying" sometime later.

I would suggest giving them a face command as Womble said - then just leave them alone and hope for the best. They'll prob start firing eventually.

Thanks, All!

I should have mentioned that I did indeed try a "face" command, but no joy. Perhaps I've been too impatient (these were really, really juicy targets and they'll soon be in cover...), so I'll try another "face" command and will wait. If nothing else, I can consider the weapon jammed a la CMBB & CMAK. :^)

Sigh...Yep, that's exactly what happened. I finally direct-targeted one of his squads at a range of about 200 meters, and my HMG let go a burst. The rangers took off perpendicularly to my LOF, and while I believe they were within my LOF for about 40 seconds or so and multiple bursts were fired, I was just able to eke out one KIA before they escaped into some woods.

Most unsatisfying and not the result I had hoped for! :^) And to add insult to injury, now my HMG is under withering incoming fire. Ah, well--I should have stayed with the dream rather than pushed my luck for the reality; at least that way, I'd have had a good excuse if the game doesn't go my way.... :^)

Sigh...Yep, that's exactly what happened. I finally direct-targeted one of his squads at a range of about 200 meters, and my HMG let go a burst. The rangers took off perpendicularly to my LOF, and while I believe they were within my LOF for about 40 seconds or so and multiple bursts were fired, I was just able to eke out one KIA before they escaped into some woods.

Most unsatisfying and not the result I had hoped for! :^) And to add insult to injury, now my HMG is under withering incoming fire. Ah, well--I should have stayed with the dream rather than pushed my luck for the reality; at least that way, I'd have had a good excuse if the game doesn't go my way.... :^)

Well... if your guy has trouble setting up his gun what makes you think he has any shooting skill?

Obviously he fell through a gaping hole in the Axis training regimen. :P Hopefully I can add more holes to him.:D