Purchased Game- won't Run

I previously downloaded and ran the demo so today paid for and downloaded the full game. It appears to have installed ok but I cannot open it. It gets to the main menu then when I click to play a game it says 'loading' and never goes anywhere after that. It also freezes up the screen and I have to log off to get out. Should I reinstall? What?

Additional note- I tried customer support- they say my password is invalid even though I had it reset today so cannot contact anyone. When scrolling through the stuff theynhave on common problems I found this gem of a comment for my situation:

'Windows Vista and Windows 7 have introduced the so-called "User Access Control" feature. Many people do not even know about it, but it affects many things that you do in Windows. User Access Control (short UAC) provides an extra layer of security that requires additional administrator privileges (often beyond the 'computer administrator-level' access that most accounts have)...'

Looks like I just blew $45. Makes me sick...

Hi Panzer1962,

Sorry to hear about the trouble and I can confirm that the Windows User Access Control is not the culprit here.

It is one of two possible issues.

1) If you are running Windows 8 there is a problem with the WWI game that we are attempting to have fixed ASAP.

2) If you are not running Windows 8 then the latest patch should resolve the issue for you... can you download and install the latest patch found here?

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=266&Itemid=475

Let me know if this helps,

Hubert

I downloaded the patch- it failed to fix the problem. In fact I now find I cannot even access either the downloaded full game or the demo (which ran fine). When I click on the icons I get a message that the program has been changed and it keeps trying to delete the link. Same thing when I go into the program section, I cannot open from there either, I'm screwed.

I am running Windows 7. I also am not real savvy about this stuff. I have Global Conflict WWII and really enjoy it. I think this game still has some issues for some people. I wonder if I couldn't just get a chargeback and maybe try again in a few months after some of the bugs are worked out?

Let me know if this helps,

The game should run fine with the latest patch.

There is just as mentioned a Windows 8 issue that is being resolved but this does not sound to be related to you as you are running Windows 7.

Based on your last post though this might be your anti-virus software not liking the EXEs.

Can you open a support ticket at http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk as they will be able to help you sort it out.

I already have a ticket open. Exchanged several messages with tech staff last night, have not heard anything further since sending a message about 15 hours ago.

Two additional factors- I was able to launch the game from the dialogue box I got at the end of the download. It was not sized correctly for my screen so I closed that and then went back in from the desktop icon and couldn't get back in. Also, the demo is in fact still fine. I can launch that. I think you may be correct about my anti virus program causing this problem, that sounds like it should be an easy fix. I did note during the download I was getting alerts about malicious files. I know the public forum isn't the venue to resolve this and hope tom hear back on my ticket soon. Meantime if there are any other suggestions please let me know..

Unfortunately these are false positives by some of the anti-virus programs.

This happens as they are sometimes over aggressive in their analysis of the files. If you whitelist the patch installer it should then download and install fine.

You may have to whitelist the game EXE as well but once you do this it should solve the issue for you.

What security software are you using ? Each program can have its own terminology for what Hubert mentioned as 'white listing'. It may be called an 'exception' or an 'exclusion' or an 'ignore' or a multitude of other terms. The idea is that you are telling your security software that it should not scan these particular files. Due to the encryption within the files your security software's 'heuristics' are guessing that they are infected/trojans and subsequently quarantines them. This is a 'false positive', but there's no way to tell the security software that is is wrong other than to tell the software to ignore these files.

The encryption in the files CANNOT be changed since it is part of the copy-protection system. The files CANNOT be modified so that the security programs will stop flagging them as infected since it is the copy-protection code within these files that are the trigger for the heuristics' issue with the files. We CANNOT tell the security program developers to change their data, however some programs do allow for user submissions of files that are 'false positives' (or, conversely, 'infected'). Sometimes this results in definition updates that don't require an 'exception'. However it has been our experience that a new set of definitions will be released at some point in the future that again cause the files to be quarantined if they are not set to be ignored.

Panzer1962, if you use Norton, than maybe one of these links might help you

false positive exception

exception info from norton support

I had the same problem with my (free) avira anti-virus program, so you are not alone out there. This is a pretty common problem, and probably the price we all have to pay for get very suspicious, thorough and cautious anti-virus programs. They rather warn you too often (or isolate suspicious files) than one time to less. Surely a good thing, but if they suspect an unknown file signature to be a possible virus, than customers like you and me have a little problem.

I did exactly what was suggested by Hubert and Schrullenhaft:

I started my anti-virus programm, put the SCWW1 game exe and the the editor exe on the exception list ("dear anti-virus program, please don't check these both files, they are not a virus") and than the problem was solved.

This is not a Battlefront-only problem, and surely not a SC WW1 problem.

I had this expericence with several games, some of them i bought from Battlefront, but not all of them.

So all you have do to is probably this:

start your anti-virus program, search the option to except files from the anti-virus scan, insert the game exe and the editor exe, and than you should be done.

Success!! I got it running and my thanks to all for your help!

Now another issue: The units are showing as miniatures with no option to have them appear as counters, as in the demo. It's a lot easier for me to keep track of them for me that way and that's the setting I use on the WWII game. Seems odd that the demo uses the counters while the actual game doesn't, am I missing something? Thanks again.