Can I Play Multiplayer with far away Opponents?

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on this forum. I have been a long-time CM fan ever since Barbarosa to Berlin came out and I just ordered the Battle for Normandy + Commonwealth Forces package yesterday. Can't wait to play the new generation.

My question is:

I have never attempted to play multiplayer CM and am unfamiliar with what options are available for online play. Basically, I have a friend who I would like to play and who lives far away in a separate state. Is it possible that we could play CM battle for normandy online against one another? From what I've read, only LAN multiplayer is possible, which I took to mean that playing opponents located far from your location is impossible. Needless to say, that had me concerned. I am just looking for a definitive answer as to whether or not I can play my friend in multiplayer.

Thanks for your responses

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on this forum. I have been a long-time CM fan ever since Barbarosa to Berlin came out and I just ordered the Battle for Normandy + Commonwealth Forces package yesterday. Can't wait to play the new generation.

My question is:

I have never attempted to play multiplayer CM and am unfamiliar with what options are available for online play. Basically, I have a friend who I would like to play and who lives far away in a separate state. Is it possible that we could play CM battle for normandy online against one another? From what I've read, only LAN multiplayer is possible, which I took to mean that playing opponents located far from your location is impossible. Needless to say, that had me concerned. I am just looking for a definitive answer as to whether or not I can play my friend in multiplayer.

Thanks for your responses

Your options for multiplayer are *almost* the same as in CMx1:

1) Hotseat

2) PBEM

3) TCP/IP (just like CMx1 but only in real-time mode)

So yes you can play online with a "faraway" opponent. But only in real-time mode. Not turn-based. Have fun!

Yes, you can play realtime. You just need to know each others' IP addresses and have your routers set up to permit the traffic. Have a look in the manual for more details, I think. If you're wanting to play WeGo, you'll have to swap email turns; get H2HH and Dropbox and that's a doddle.