Op Bagration Doc! For CMBB & CMx2

This is a most informative British doc on Operation Bagration, the subject of an upcoming CMx2 game and already in CMBB. It does a terrific job of setting the context, discussing Russian tactical innovations, the scope and scale of the op, to include seldom addressed logistics--on a vast scale. The maps lay out the plan for and course of the battle.

Where I found it lacking was in the use of period film and photos. I think way too much reliance was placed in fancy animations, when I'm pretty sure there's a lot of late war Russian imagery which could've been used. Sigh.

Even so, I highly recommend this generally well produced documentary.

Regards,

John Kettler

Its OK but it's not a British documentary, it's one episode from two series that have been made under the brand "Soviet Storm: WW2 in the East", and is Russian-made. The series overall has some good (at times, too fancy) graphics and often sets the mood nicely (you can't wait to fire-up CMBB after watching), but lacks depth in places and in other places covers too much far too quickly (like a key-notes speed revision), each covering a major topic/campaign of the war in a mere 45mins. Bagration is from series 1, I think, which was generally better than series 2.

They've been showing in the UK on the Military History Channel, with the narration dubbed into English, but I like how they kept the maps in Russian Cyrillic. Worth watching as they of course give the Russian point of view of WW2, something we (at least in the UK) don't otherwise see much of.