Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Howdy. My first post.

I can't say I have any complaints about CMBN. Great game/simulation. It took some time to get used to the camera (keyboard works a lot better for me in most cases), but other than that...

I've read that the mod tools will be released for the OSX version at some point. Is it highly inappropriate to ask whether I can obtain the Windows versions in the mean time? I triple boot OSX, Windows, and Linux, so I can certainly use them.

A few general suggestions, without any regard to technical or any other kind of difficulty of implementation:

1) An operational level. I've seen a few people wishing for this. To me it would put CMBN on par with what to date is my favorite war game of all time, Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far.

2) Full replay. Wow, this would be fun. Rewatch an entire battle from start to finish with no turn interruptions? Superb. It would be like every game was a little action movie in the making.

3) When plotting movement, the engine should give you an ETA to the destination, assuming no interruptions. This would make it easier to plot in the unavoidable one-turn increments.

4) More realistic entrenchments. Trenches and foxholes that actually go down into the ground. More control over sandbag walls.

I'm sure I've thought of others, but I can't remember them ATM, so I'll leave that for another time.

In conclusion, good job Battlefront!

-Q.Sertorius

4) More realistic entrenchments. Trenches and foxholes that actually go down into the ground. More control over sandbag walls.

Yes, that would be nice, but...

As has been explained, that was attempted early in the design of the current game engine, and the problem that arose was that the necessary deformation of the underlying terrain grid whatsit created a huge performance hit on existing computers. I have no idea what it would take programming-wise to work around this problem, but for now we are stuck with existing entrenchments. Personally, I try to avoid using them as much as possible.

Michael

Michael Emrys,

I know how trenches appear (huge, more nearly resembling mine shafts), and I know how the occupants appear, too, and why. What I'd like to know, though, is whether the under the hood modeling properly reflects the cover the trench should be providing? I'd love to see trenches like in the German wartime training films. Now, that's real protection!

Regards,

John Kettler

Purportedly, the game does protect people in trenches the way they "ought" to be protected, rather than the way it appears.

The reason why trenches could not be put below the ground may have been partly a performance thing, but it was also an FOW thing. The game doesn't have a way to have the ground appear one way when it's FOW and another way when it is known. The ground is assumed known (by the game) at all times. So if they dented the ground with trenches, you'd know about it at the beginning.

IIRC.

GaJ

May your CM career be as illustrious as he whose moniker you've chosen!

Thanks! That's highly unlikely! :D

I don't think I'll ever get good at playing. I spend way too much time designing my own maps.

Another thing I could see being improved is the way vehicles interact with each other and with wrecks. I had a Puma destroy two halftracks with one shot yesterday because they were crawling through a pile of wrecks on a bridge. It was fun, but I think I'd rather have one of those Shermans with a bulldozer blade on the front.

I don't think I'll ever get good at playing. I spend way too much time designing my own maps.

I hope you find time to release any you make, either here on the repository, or the CM Warehouse. New maps are always welcome, especially to people like me who can't make a map in anything less than 6 months time.

I hope you find time to release any you make, either here on the repository, or the CM Warehouse. New maps are always welcome, especially to people like me who can't make a map in anything less than 6 months time.

I do plan to release my first scenario...soon. I made it to teach myself the editor, but I've been obsessively playing and tinkering with it for a long time now - so much so that I've barely played any of the stock scenarios or campaigns.

I'm curious what kinds of maps people would like most.