Dismounted trucks undrivable

I have some trucks, American ones, which seem to be in working order, not bogged, but can't be driven by the troops that have boarded them. These same troops were driving these trucks in setup, since I'd taken the truck drivers and assigned them to jeeps so the teams with no drivers originally assigned to those jeeps could hop in and out more efficiently.

I haven't had a chance to test whether the trucks just require their original driver (or one from the same platoon, maybe, at least) back or whether they're completely banjaxed. If it's meant to be that no one but the original crew can drive the truck, that's fine, but it should be so for the entire game, from setup onwards.

Not really but if anybody has a better use for XOs let me know.

:D

They make good medics.

More usefully, I understand that they will step up and become a command team if the Boss takes a bullet.

I think they also make good ammo porters (will share with anyone further down the food chain), but probably need to check that.

I'm pretty sure they can be used to call in indirect fire, but I don't recall right now if that's always, or only after they'd stepped up to become a command team.

I am sure that some of the German units have "no driver" jeeps.

Something like the Coy Cmd and XO each get a jeep with no driver and then crew it themselves.

I use the XOs for good old fashioned CMBO jeeps charges. Not really but if anybody has a better use for XOs let me know.

Oh right, fair enough, I thought it was just a jeep, not one he'd taken someone else out of.

Re. XO's, I find if I have an Sdkfz 251/x on the map, I scrounge the XO a faust and send him tank-hunting :D

XO teams are small and therefore cheap to boost in experience and such, in QB buys. Have them snag an ATR out of a ute or half track and you've got a good tank hunting team. And if you are using them for jeep rushes, they work a lot better in WeGo if they have a driver, otherwise they have to wait for a turn break before they can dismount. You have to dismount them and put the driver in first during setup, or the XO will be driving and the Driver will be the passenger.

WRT my OP, my recollection is that I've not had this problem with half tracks that have been crewed by units other than their original drivers.

Yes, this is a great use of XO's, 2IC's, HQ Support units in the game. But, isn't this rather unrealistic? It seems like a good argument for not burdening this game with those extra units in the first place. I'd prefer to have medic units since I need medics all the time.

I know that having too many medic units is perhaps unrealistic as well, but when one is using so many 2IC, XO and HQ Support units as medics and ad hoc AT units am not sure why that is preferable.

I agree Erwin, in QB's when I'm picking the force, I generally delete these extra guys, but if I'm given them in a scenario, then yes, I am using them in what is essentially a gamey fashion.

This is because ( I guess ), CM isn't really set up to depict the work such units would be doing in real life, so they appear not to have a function.

And what wargamer worth their salt is going to leave 3-4 guys who have guns ! doing nothing :D

Sure, they'll take over as HQ if the boss cops it, but really, if things are so bad that the BatHQ is close to the firing, you've got bigger problems than the loss of top level C2.