Stuart tank buck-shot

CMFI has canister rounds. Maybe that feature will creep into CMBN via the 2.0 update, who knows. Well, some people know. But would they tell? :D

Great link. It is always harrowing to read memoirs. After reading them, I have to take a long pause and reflect on the universe. What a beautiful yet horrible place it is.

I'd sure love to see canister-shooting Stuarts in CMBN 2.0

But it could take a bit of getting used to for players used to seeing the Germans-in-bocage as invincible. Would it throw the balance of the game way off in the Allied direction?

Well, how about returning the favor and giving the Germans 20mm flak (as DF only, no AA capability)? It's a must by the time we get to Market-Garden, anyway (scattered light flak units were just about all the Germans had, in some places, to slow the Allies down in some of the earliest battles along the S. half of the corridor)

But it could take a bit of getting used to for players used to seeing the Germans-in-bocage as invincible. Would it throw the balance of the game way off in the Allied direction?

I doubt it. They were of course deadly against troops in the open and a strong inducement for troops in cover to stay in cover, but the shot would not penetrate hedgerows any better than bullets would, in fact I wouldn't expect them to penetrate quite as well.

Michael

Michael Emrys, Broadsword56,

Recommend you two see Doubler's CLOSING WITH THE ENEMY. In it, he describes an actual battle tactic in which the hedgerow corners are blown, two Stuarts (with infantry on the back) charge in and engage the far corners of the field with canister. Apparently, it worked great.

Regards,

John Kettler

Would it throw the balance of the game way off in the Allied direction?

Probably but not ahistorically. Stuart suffers, in my opinion, from diminished capacity in the game. Adding canister would only correct the situation. Canister isn't the great panacea, though. I recall one anecdote from the Bulge battles. US light armor (I forget which) rounds a corner and stumbled on a German squad standing right in front of them. They fire their canister straight at them... and miss! The result was to so frighten the Germans they threw down their weapons and put their hands in the air.