The Spotting Round

So--I decided to queue up Hot Mustard just to see what it like. (It's Big. Big enough to make my i7 actually work). I immediately liked the map as it allows plenty of room to maneveur the way I wanted and with many choices to approach objectives. I decided to run my companies as per doctrine--2 platoons up and 1 back.

Approaching an area where I was sure I'd make contact, I left the supporting platoon back about 200 meters so it could react unseen. As my 2 leading platoons neared the tree-line, I seperated out a single fire team from each and sent them scouting. They met a warm reception and immediately went to ground. It seemed to me that their left flank may be vulnerable though and my supporting platoon was in the best position to exploit it.

I commanded the front left platoon to pull back as there was definitely too much allied fire-power on that flank and I expected mortar fire there for sure. Simultaneously, I ordered my support platoon to side-step quick about 100 meters to the right while staying back well out of sight. I sent a couple more teams from the other platoon forward to begin engaging and hopefully pin the squad on their left flank.

All was going just fine until that 60mm Sotting Round from hell dropped in. Not even close to the mark, it fell about 250 meters back from the tree-line, right into my platoon leader position (the one with the "quick move" command). BANG! It dropped all 4 men in the platoon HQ--the ones with +2 leadership.

Hot Mustard indeed. I added a few more spicey expletives of my own.

Anyway, the scenario took a long time to play--3 days and I was hitting it pretty hard. It wasn't too difficult to win but it was tough to do it without incurring a lot of casualties. Defintely a fun scenario except for that 1st spotting round of the game.

Cheers!