Looking For Website Recommendations

Grogs, I need your help. It's a slow day at work and I would love to spend the downtime reading and learning all sorts of interesting things about WWII. West Front, East Front, Italy, North Africa... I'm not picky. All I ask is that it's safe for work and filled with interesting, informative grogginess.

Hey Big Dork, I surveyed a huge portion of Ft Meade back in 2003. I have a plat with thousands and thousands of dots representing our shots. We located all the historical buildings, utilities, sidewalks, roads and every one of those huge oaks in that area/neighborhood over by the parade ground/football field or whatever it was.

I also went through MEPS there in 2008...on my way to Benning. The civilian doctors were &%@#$ &%$%^ (*&^^ jerks!

Mord.

Hey Big Dork, I surveyed a huge portion of Ft Meade back in 2003. I have a plat with thousands and thousands of dots representing our shots. We located all the historical buildings, utilities, sidewalks, roads and every one of those huge oaks in that area/neighborhood over by the parade ground/football field or whatever it was.

I also went through MEPS there in 2008...on my way to Benning. The civilian doctors were &%@#$ &%$%^ (*&^^ jerks!

Mord.

Check out the German WWII POW graves at Ft. Meade, too. It's a small plot with Wehrmacht headstones, the final resting place of a few who happened to die while in custody. I think (or am I imagining) there's a little stone bridge nearby with a 1944 cornerstone, that these POWs built while confined there. The German Embassy in DC (at least back in the 1980s) always sent a wreath-laying delegation out to the post every year to honor their memory.

Excellent stuff. I am off on holiday and will be taking quite a bit of the CGSC stuff.

for instance:

24 th August

France:U.S. SEVENITH 'ARMY: VI Corps

Corps concetrates on shifting troops to Montelimar area to cut off and destroy elements of German 19th Army retreating up the Rhone Valley. At S end of L flank 30th Regt of 3d Div patrols find ArIes, 45 miles of Marseille, practicallyclear of enemy; 7th elements occupy Cavaillon,15miles SE of Avignon.

On the north front 179th Regt of 45th Div encounters only one small enemy unit near Grenoble,destroying enemy vehicles near Gieres, E of Grenoble. East of Gap, 180th and 117th Cav Rcn find no enemy oppositionin Guillestre area except MG fire at St.Paul- S and SE of Guillestre; 180th elements enter Brianconn, reported occupied by strong enemy force, without opposition.

In German escape route near Montelimar, S of Valence, some enemy units attacking elements of 141st-part of 36th Div. are temporarily cut off by strong S/A and arty fire; others are scattered by the 141st supported by2 Bns of arty N of Montelimar.

Enemy heavy caliber RbR arty shell Marsanne areapositions. .. FFI..forces are established at Baix,E of Rhone and arty fire destroys enemy vehiclesat Livron RJ; 143d encounters strong opposition inthrust toward Valence from Chabeuil and regt isordered withdrawn tovward Crest. Elements of 142dmove to support 141st.TF Butler is reorganized to support operationsin Montelimar-Puy-St, Marin area. First ABTFoccupies Grasse, N of Cannes, and continues advanceE.FRENCH ARI,,Y BII Corps First Fr Inf Div relieves 3d U.S. Divand mops up on Cap, de Carqueiranne and hills Wof Hyeres; 9th Colonial Inf Div reaches lesDagboussedes and land arsenal in Toulon; and elementsoccupy Ollioule, W of Toulon; 3d Algerian Inf Div.occupies center of Marseille and Goums mop upCassis-Aubane .area 9 mi,. E of Marseille. First FrArmored Div relieves 3d U.S. Div. "''Eighty-seven B-25s and B-26s hit Montpellier,.Avignon, and Lunel RR bridges and gun positions in Marseillearea, achieving excellent results with 172 tons of bombDsThirty-two P-47s attack roads in battle zone and effect roadcuts in Nice-Mentone areas while 83 additional P-47s and 172Spitfires, P-40s, and P-51s strike effectively at gun positions,communications and fuel dumps. MT in Nice area bombed duringnight by 20 A-20s, which also strafe marshalling yards nearNimes. Heavy units of Allied Fleet bombard enemy targets inGulf de Fos area near mouth of Rhone in support of mine-sweeping operations; batteries in Toulon and near Nice alsoshelled; 4 batteries in Toulon area, 1 at Cap Sicie and 2 atSt. Mandries still active; 1 enemy AK in Nice harbor set onfire and bridge over Var R. damaged. Carrier-based planes make14 missions against communications; 2 Allied planes lost and..5 damaged. Fighter planes of 324 Wing (RAF) moves to Sisteronairfield about, 60 mi. inland from beaciihad area,

The Combat STudies Institute section of the Combined Arms Research Library has some good stuff from a variety of epochs of varying applicability to Combat Mission:

http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/resources/csi/csi.asp

BTW BigDork, I would like to call you out on a comment from your CMBN AAR vs Tiresias:

Back in the days of CMx1 I used to love making AARs/DARs of my PBEM games with my opponents. As I begin my first PBEM game in CMx2 I have decided to start up a new AAR so that everyone can follow along.

I still have 2 CMSF AARs of battles against you that call you a liar :D (back in the days when MZO was still alive). Although admittedly early CMSF versions do feel like a whole different engine to Normandy onwards.

Ha! Way to call me out on it Vulture. ;) You are correct though. I remember now. It's a pity all those AARs are lost now.

Thanks for the recommendations all, I've got all sorts of great stuff to waste away the slow times at work.

I had no clue about the Wehrmacht graves here on post. I'll have to go check that out sometime soon.