BFC, goodies carried on U.S. AFVs +Standard Ordnance Items Catalogue

BFC,

This link will show you all the useful things carried on U.S. AFVs, to include hand grenades, ammunition, bazookas and rounds for same, AT mines, small arms and more. Source is about as official as it gets. And that's just the frosting!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13810463/Standard-Ordnance-Items-Catalog-1944-Vol-1

Here is the rundown on ALL the U.S. Army issued projectiles, hand grenades, bombs and more.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13810984/Standard-Ordnance-Items-Catalog-1944-Vol-3

Regards,

John Kettler

Um I dont know about anyone else, but i already have all this information in the book. "The American Arsenal" ISBN 1-85367-470-2. I'm guessing the folks at BFC have this book & or many others that are even better.

Nonetheless thanks for posting this info for those who may not have access.:)

@John Kettler: It's nice to point out these resources to the newer WW2 buffs here but most of us old grogs either have a copy of this already, or a reprint, or know where to look it up. For me it's been a well-thumbed reference for many years. Great source for anyone who wants to go back and see what these US vehicles were notionally equipped with, for sure.

@jakla1027:

IIRC, By 1944 the Thompson was designated Substitute Standard and the M-3 Grease Gun was generally used where Thompsons were previously issued.

gunnergoz,

Fair points. I didn't know these were available online, and I haven't had much of a book buying budget for quite some time. Drooled over ARSENAL OF DEMOCRACY years ago, but too dear for me. Also, I lost my GERMAN EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE many moons ago when a cop I knew went through a terrible divorce--while he had my book! These came in very handy when I was investigating the vexed issue of ground tripods for vehicle mounted MGs. Turned out I was right. They were issued for most Allied halftracks, with the exceptions being things like assault guns, TD and antiaircraft vehicles.

Regards,

John Kettler

jakla1027,

I heard a harrowing story of the M3 at the firing range from an Army veteran. Seems it stuck in full auto (a fairly frequent problem) and the recruit turned away from the range and toward his fellows, gun blazing. World records ensued as the terrified soldiers hit the dirt and made themselves as small as possible. Eventually the madness stopped. Wasn't fun being that recruit later!

Regards,

John Kettler