I thought this was amusing on Romney's visit

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think of what might have been, if the wealth and energy and political will that went into Iraq I and II and Afghanistan before/during/after surge, into the CIA and the TSA and the FBI and NRO and the NSA; had gone into building bridges and roads and schools and productive industry at home. I'm not advocating total disarmament, but just a domestic focus and a defensive, non-provocative stance against outside threats.

Believe me, I have. I no longer look toward the future with hope; there seems to be no limit to how bad things can become. Common sense has become as extinct as any of the thousands of species we've managed to kill off in the last century.

Michael

That’s right. Obama is so cool that he would never blunder, gaffe or return a bust of Churchill to our greatest ally for ill or ignorant reasons. He just simply has different tastes. Perhaps a bust of Che or Moa is more along his cool tastes?

Abraham Lincoln actually - which is mentioned right there in the article that it seems you did not bothe to read.

You got a problem with that?:cool:

Think of what might have been, if the wealth and energy and political will that went into Iraq I and II and Afghanistan before/during/after surge, into the CIA and the TSA and the FBI and NRO and the NSA; had gone into building bridges and roads and schools and productive industry at home.

It was called the Stimulas and it failed.

Funny isn't it?

Maybe on another planet. You don't run a pair of runious wars and let the military industrial complex do pretty much whatever it wants, and have a prayer of helping the economy.

Of course, to be fair, as long as there are plenty of people willing to buy into the "ooh, dangerous threat, be scared" propaganda, and live their lives and judge their leaders with a pinheaded partisan mindset, then can we really condemn the people who are leaders for exploiting willful ignorance on the part of the people who aren't the leaders?

Funny when the shoe fits.

It was called the Stimulas and it failed.

Funny isn't it?

I had not realised how possible another Middle East war was:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/us/politics/mitt-romney-and-benjamin-netanyahu-are-old-friends.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Lets be honest I have problems with people who really believe there is a God guiding them It makes killing other people that much easier I reckon.

As for Romney and his financial past - Bain Capital seems to have done the old pump and dump pretty successfully. What gets me is that any business taken private and then re-floated with a ton more debt has to be dangerous. But then I suppose all the people getting pay-offs in the flotation are happy even if the eventual portfolios where the shares end up take a hit 3 years or more later. Think Facebook but with tangible asstes but loads of debt.

Now its coming out that a fair chunk of Bain's startup cash came from the Latin American oligarchs who sponsored the infamous El Salvadoran "death squads." This just keeps getting better.

And re: possible Middle East wars, all I have to do is remind myself that Romney's religion tends to incline him towards a dogmatic, religion-versed view of the region and its issues, rather than looking at it through purely dispassionate historical and practical terms. Consequently, he's coming to it with a set of biases that do not preclude the possibility of Armageddon and the Second Coming as attractive options for humanity. Just what we need.

You guys play the game very well. Where you all taught by David Axelrod?

Simply make false accusations and attack the opposition. That way you don’t have to defend your record and the failure of your policies. Obama cannot run on his record, it is dismal. He is the least experienced guy every time he walks into a room.

He was never vetted, not by the media which is complicit in this sham or even his own party and you all know it.

So you spend your time shouting down and attacking the opposition, rather than sing the praises of Obama.

Unfortunately the problem for the US is that you can have two lousy candidates at the same time - and lets face it the odds of anyone standing for President who has not cut deals to gain support or has some skeletons is probably nil.

I make exceptions for at least Dwight D.

The founding fathers if they saw the current set-up would probably want to go back to the drawing board. Particularly if they understood the way the media "Ads" to the quality of the debate.

The trouble from the rest of the worlds point of view is the US has taken to making big mistakes overseas to demonstrate how powerful it isn't. And I can see the next one being teed up and I really think the US will ever be able to live it down.

The founding fathers if they saw the current set-up would probably want to go back to the drawing board.

The Founding Fathers had it right. Problem is the Constitution has not been followed and thus corrupted by the politicians and special interests. The country has been stolen and much of the electorate is distracted, over medicated and socially isolated. We depend on an informed electorate.

you spend your time shouting down and attacking the opposition, rather than sing the praises

Sorry, were you talking about yourself here? Because I don't see you saying anything positive, instead you go out of your way to create imagined controversies involving the return of borrowed property, and creating fantasy conflicts between people born centuries apart.

Sorry, were you talking about yourself here?

The answer is No.

Much of the content of this thread is obviously thrown up by some fellows who I suspect are liberals and leftists. The type of fellows who pride themselves on believing they are the smartest ones in the room.

You Chaps have had your fun posting this and that about Romney and Bain, Global Warming and other leftist drivel. I am simply here to counter that.

The controversy about the return of the Churchill bust existed. It was glossed over by a media, that simply put are the stenographers for the current regime…err White House.

You want to talk about fantasies, let’s talk about Manmade Global warming.

Both are lawyers from or have lived in Illinois. From there I don’t think the two would agree much or care much for the other.

And both are or were Presidents of the USA, and human beings, and male too - and have any number of other things in common.

I'm sure there are a couple of lawyers from illinois who are friends with each other, somewhere.......