OSX 10.8 problem and solution

FYI:

When I opened CMFI I just got a bouncing item. After a long (!) while OSX told me that this program is not certified. This is the new 'gatekeeper' feature.

To exempt a program from this you have to open it per right (or control) click and choosing 'open'. This I did but it still didn't work. I'm a bit stubborn and tried twice again and finally it worked. Got the activation screen, entered the code and all is good.

Hope that helps someone.

FYI:

When I opened CMFI I just got a bouncing item. After a long (!) while OSX told me that this program is not certified. This is the new 'gatekeeper' feature.

To exempt a program from this you have to open it per right (or control) click and choosing 'open'. This I did but it still didn't work. I'm a bit stubborn and tried twice again and finally it worked. Got the activation screen, entered the code and all is good.

Hope that helps someone.

Thanks for the solution! There are a couple ways to go about it but that's the easiest and most secure. We did do what we could to work within Apple's constraints on this one, but as Steve mentions we were caught by surprise late in development. I thought I had it nailed but apparently I did not. We'll try to rectify that in future releases.

Just a note for our Mac users: the long wait on first launch is OSX hashing the application. It's a pretty big app so that takes a while. If it continues to occur after the first go-round let me know.

Just a note for our Mac users: the long wait on first launch is OSX hashing the application. It's a pretty big app so that takes a while. If it continues to occur after the first go-round let me know.

That's curious; I didn't notice any unusually long load up, but then I'm still on 10.6.8 and maybe that explains it.

Michael

Mountain Lion security defaults to only allowing you to open apps downloaded from the Apple Store.

To change to allow you to open any app you download (including CM:FI) go to:

System Preferences>Security & Privacy>and check ALLOW APPLICATIONS DOWNLOADED FROM ANYWHERE.

Mountain Lion security defaults to only allowing you to open apps downloaded from the Apple Store.

That is not completely correct: ML does not allow you to open apps by double-clicking if the app is not from the app store. If you right (or ctrl) click an app and choose open and then allow it to start once ML will remember that and you can start this app by double-clicking from then on.

I would not recommend to change this setting in sysconfig.

That is not completely correct: ML does not allow you to open apps by double-clicking if the app is not from the app store. If you right (or ctrl) click an app and choose open and then allow it to start once ML will remember that and you can start this app by double-clicking from then on.

I would not recommend to change this setting in sysconfig.

It is defaulted to not allowing you to install apps unless you download it from the store. You can work around it. But that's pretty much the definition of default. And it only applies to the installation, not to running the program after installation.

You are not digging around and configuring deep in your system like a windows computer. Your are merely selecting a preference in your general preference selections.

It's just a matter of what level nannying you want your computer to be doing for you.

BTW game looks unbelievable with everything pushed to max on a retina. Smooth as butter, too!

It is defaulted to not allowing you to install apps unless you download it from the store. You can work around it. But that's pretty much the definition of default. And it only applies to the installation, not to running the program after installation.

Sorry, no - that's wrong. You can install anything you like although 'installing' doesn't mean much under OSX - you just copy a program into the applications folder.

Gatekeeper acts when you want to start an unsigned program for the first time. Then you have to allow it once like described above.

Btw AFAIK BFC could sign its apps so that problem would go away. I guess the release of ML and CMFI where too close to make this happen.