Using the .pdf Manual in the heat of battle.

Ok so I'm in a scenario and Wham my guys discover a mine field.. by blowing one of themselves up. So I panic and try and remember what to do :confused:.. then remember I read something about mines in the manual.

So I do a "mine" search with the find command :cool: and Wham I see mark mines (which is what I need and where to find it)

In ww2 they pulled out their kindles and did this all the time.

so just in case some of you warriors would like a quick way to find stuff in the manual this may be helpful to you.

..... so I moved up my engineers ...

Alt Tab to get to desktop, open the manual .pdf, click on the EDIT drop down menu and select Find, (a cute little box pops up at the top right) type in mine, press the ENTER key on the keyboard, and Mark Mines pops up showing the page number of where to read about it.

Screenshots shown just because I like using Greenshot so much ... (Some screenshots grainy cause I have not mastered the 19.5 kb limitation nor do I want to fool with zips)

post-31883-141867624036_thumb.jpg

post-31883-141867624037_thumb.jpg

post-31883-141867624038_thumb.jpg

so just how cool is this game - As I move up the engineers to the mine field to mark it some of my other infantry having stopped for awhile in the same field finally notice a mine field they are in and they didn't blow up yet cause at the edge of it so I move up my other engys to mark it and then have another engy unit walk rather than hunt forward (cause thats what the manual read regarding best way to detect mines and so then this engy unit walking found another mine field - so I had them mark it )

Then since I'm panned in close and am using "Mord's Immersive American voices" as the engys found the mine I hear them say "Watch your step !! Watch your step"

so just how cool is this game - As I move up the engineers to the mine field to mark it some of my other infantry having stopped for awhile in the same field finally notice a mine field they are in and they didn't blow up yet cause at the edge of it so I move up my other engys to mark it and then have another engy unit walk rather than hunt forward (cause thats what the manual read regarding best way to detect mines and so then this engy unit walking found another mine field - so I had them mark it )

Then since I'm panned in close and am using "Mord's Immersive American voices" as the engys found the mine I hear them say "Watch your step !! Watch your step"

Watch it there buddy, someone is liable to come along and call you fanboi or something just to rain on your parade. ;)

Seriously yeah, down in the weeds is where the coolest stuff in this game happens.

Some screenshots grainy cause I have not mastered the 19.5 kb limitation nor do I want to fool with zips)

To make the images bigger in the post, load the images into Photobucket, save them, then copy and paste their IMG lines in the post.

Thanks for the mini-learning on mines and picture posting. A double value thread.

BTW the terrain looks absolutely nothing like Normandy. Its no fun being negative. I would rather say how great the terrain looks.

1. Wooden rail fencing is just not French and possibly not even European. I have not done huge research on the worlds fences [yet] : ) but of all thirties and forties photos of countryside in Western Europe I have looked at, about 400, I do not see wood and rail fences. In fact in my travels over the last forty years I very rarely see post and rail fencing other than when related to horses.

2. The land in the picture is way too open. Average field size in Normandy is in single figure acres and bound by hedges. Around Caen more open but very flat AFAIR.

Thanks for the mini-learning on mines and picture posting. A double value thread.

BTW the terrain looks absolutely nothing like Normandy. Its no fun being negative. I would rather say how great the terrain looks.

1. Wooden rail fencing is just not French and possibly not even European. I have not done huge research on the worlds fences [yet] : ) but of all thirties and forties photos of countryside in Western Europe I have looked at, about 400, I do not see wood and rail fences. In fact in my travels over the last forty years I very rarely see post and rail fencing other than when related to horses.

2. The land in the picture is way too open. Average field size in Normandy is in single figure acres and bound by hedges. Around Caen more open but very flat AFAIR.

That's Interesting because I went to google clicked on Images and typed in Normandy - I got all kinds of pics one of which was the map thing and then another among them was the photo; I'm sure the photo was taken after the war perhaps the terrain has changed a little in places maybe this is where they Carpet Bombed during Operaton Cobra.

Googlesearch.jpg

Rather annoyingly I cannot find the one picture in the montage which is of interest when I ggogle search. However in my searching I have come across this truly excellent site which if you scroll down through the interesting photos has a US map from 1944 which shows the incredibly dense number of fields.

http://battlebus.19.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=256

Searching does reveal that there is a major national stud farm in Normandy towards Paris however the situation in 1944 may not have been so rosy for the riding centres that are now common..