Farewell to CMBB...

I've finally decided that it's time to stop playing CMBB... This morning I finished a meta-campaign I've been playing against myself for several years, and decided it would be a good time to move on to something else, although I'm not sure what (looking at PCO, APOS, Conflict of Heroes, CMBN, HistWar, etc. etc.).

I had a great time with the meta-campaign; it lasted for almost a year in-game, with 6 hour turns. During that time, 119 battles, with the Sovs winning only 44 of them (I often played the Germans vs the Sov AI). All units started as Green, and on the German side only two units got to Veteran status, on the Sov side none did (units gained experience with each battle and for each kill, but all replacements were green). I really came to like certain units and commanders, even while most of them were untried, unknown, and unloved.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the great gaming experience, and that I hope to find something equally engrossing.

76mm,

Glad you had fun, but human opponents are MUCH more challenging, and there are still opponents to be had. Trappenjagd, for example, against a good opponent, can and will give you fits. And that's just one that comes to mind. Did you play with the recommended JasonC force mixes to offset the screwing the Russians got that were never patched? If not, it might explain the paucity of Russian victories.

Regards,

John Kettler

Don't know if you are aware or not but CMX2 is looking at hitting the East Front sometime in 2013. Might be a good time to acclimate yourself with the new engine if you haven't already. This new upgrading process BFC is headed towards if gonna keep CMX2 games fresh and up to date for as long as the series lasts, from what it sounds. So any cool new features in the latest title will be back ported to previous ones.

Mord.

Dear JK, I've played some games vs human opponents, but the problem with doing this in a metacampaign is that many of the scenarios were not balanced, it is just what came up during the campaign. Really fun for me because of the context, but for another human might have been kind of ho-hum. The main reason for the relative lack of Sov victories was that when possible, I tended to play Germany vs the Sov AI, which obviously skewed the results; also in the metacampaign the German force had interior lines and could generally bring superior forces to bear.

Mord, I'm well aware of CMx2 development, but can't say that I have gotten into it yet; hated CMSF, am totally bored by Normandy, and find myself constantly irritated by various weird issues with the new engine. That said, I want to get to know the new engine better, and hopefully Italy will be interesting enough while we wait for real action in the East!

76mm, I assume you have seen RobO's quick campaign generator for CMAK and CMBB...

Pretty much an automated Excel spreedsheet that takes care of the bookkeeping for you and your core force.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=88284

You may have to be logged in at CMMODS for the links, within the above link, to work.

Just passing this along.