Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Combing shattered squads

Probably because for most units in most armies that kind of reorganization would take place between battles and not during one.

Michael

Quite. One thing I'd like to see that I think would be done "ad hoc", is the combining of the gutted remnants of a squad's teams into a single team. It's not so important for dealing with in-battle casualties (though it'd be a nice feature), since any squad that's lost 2/3 of its strength is likely broken and largely useless anyway, but for games where you start with reduced strength squads, it would suit me if the survivors were reassigned between teams.

What's so hard about just moving them together? It's no different than if you split squads.

When you have a squad that's been reduced to 4 men, 2 in A and one each in B and C, they take up 3 Action spots, and you have little control over which action spots they use. Most of the time it's not really an issue, but if you're fighting with pathing algorithms to get them across some tricky terrain without wandering into fire lanes, or trying to get them to move down a 'marked' path in a minefield, independent team pathing will get your mangled squad eliminated.

If they've been reduced to such small headcount while split, you just have to keep them split, but if you're handed a depleted squad at scenario start (or the squad gets recombined for some reason) you can't (re)split them.

Yeah; it can get a little silly at times. I've run into the situation several time, especially with U.S. Airborne, where I've had squads that start a battle with only 4-5 men that are still organized into 3 fireteams. So you get 1-2 men per action spot, and you often can't split the squad because it's below the minimum headcount threshold for splitting. As noted, this makes deploying and moving such a unit very unwieldy. There really should be threshold at which squads "condense" down into a two- or one-team unit.

At the other end of the spectrum, there are some infantry units like HMG teams and HQ support teams in the game which at full strength are 6 or 7 men, but are only one team and therefore can only deploy onto one action spot. 6- or 7-man man teams on one action spot really look silly. One guy is always putting he head up another guy's @ss because he can't find enough room within the action spot. Teams like this are a multiple casualty incident waiting to happen. IMHO, 5 men should be the absolute maximum size for any infantry team, with additional units overflowing into an associated ammo bearer/security/secondary team, as appropriate. In many cases, the TOEs in the game do this. But not always. Not sure why there's this inconsistency.

These guys all ran to the same spot.

48856809.jpg

Mord.

That happens occasionally, but not always. From what I've seen, it seems to happen most often where you've got a very specific piece of good cover that is only in one action spot, without much other cover in the adjacent action spots (such as the low wall in your example).

Worth noting that even full strength squads will condense into one action spot in situations like this as well, so this behavior seems to be related not so much to headcount as it does to cover-seeking. In fact, this behavior sometimes leads to undesirable results -- I've seen 12-man U.S. squads pack themselves into a single action spot e.g. behind a small building, which creates a very dense target. This is one of the reasons why I usually split teams when moving through dense terrain.

That happens occasionally, but not always. From what I've seen, it seems to happen most often where you've got a very specific piece of good cover that is only in one action spot, without much other cover in the adjacent action spots (such as the low wall in your example).

Worth noting that even full strength squads will condense into one action spot in situations like this as well, so this behavior seems to be related not so much to headcount as it does to cover-seeking. In fact, this behavior sometimes leads to undesirable results -- I've seen 12-man U.S. squads pack themselves into a single action spot e.g. behind a small building, which creates a very dense target. This is one of the reasons why I usually split teams when moving through dense terrain.

Mord's examples are also not from the same squad.