AI seems to be cheating

First want to say that this game is a lot of fun; doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the CM series but for $4.99 this is a no brainer.

I am voicing my frustration over the Uncle Red scenario as the Allies. Can't seem to knock out both AT guns before losing my tank. Germans seem to be much better shot. I've tried being a moving target but sometimes they can peg my tank at over 700 meters! Once I was able to outflank the AT gun, but the darned thing still hit me with it's barrel pointing 90 degrees away from the tank! Had to replay that several times to see if there were any other shell that possibly hit me.

Now I can see it is possible to win the scenario even without the tank although harder. Just want to know if there are any tips to take out #%£& AT guns?

Yea, I've had the same problem. I've noticed that the AI gets a boost. Usually with extra tanks or in the case of Uncle Red Beach, AT Guns. My current solution, especially on Uncle Red Beach, is to take the role of the Germans. When the tank rolls around, I knock 'em out with Artillery. I'm not enjoying the fact that the AI gets a boost either. But I'm still loving the game

Just today, my tank got picked off travelling at fast speed while hiding behind a grove of trees. Again the AT gun at about 300 meters, unreal!

The German AT gun in the game appears to be the 7.5 cm Pak 97/38. This gun had low effective range of 500 meters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.5_cm_Pak_97/38

Plus, the best thing to do, especially with Sherman Tanks, is To close in fast and hard on Panzers/AT guns via means of flanking. Usually two on one is best. One tank can draw fire, while the other gets a close and hard shot at the tanks side/rear armour.

The CM Beta guys don't know enough about the ipad product to comment on cheating, But oftentimes people underestimate their opponents capabilities. AT guns are usually 'zeroed' at around 700m. No great concern about shot drop or dispersion from that range. Point & shooot. I've never had much luck 'trusting in luck' to get me across a patch of open ground when an AT gun is covering it. Usually it takes smoke and/or heavy small arms surpression to keep the enemy from quickly reacting when you expose your vehicle.

I thought I had the drop on an AT gun when I came from behind, only to have it shoot backwards and destroy my tank. Then I realized that facing may not be accurate. I was curious how successful are other players as Allies in the Uncle Red Beach scenario. I'm averaging about 10% due to the difficulty of knocking both AT guns out

• 2 weeks later...

The only "cheating" that the AI does is having more units at its disposal. As for accuracy, ballistics, morale, et. Al - it is playing by exactly the same rules as a human.

The best way to get the AT guns on Uncle Red is usually to get your Sherman hull down against them (one good spot for this is the the lip of the ridge near the beginning of the dirt road, depending on where the guns are deployed). Your turret alone is a small enough target that your coax MG and main gun's HE will very probably take out the gun or crew before it scores a hit on you.

Of course if any guns are deployed closer to the beach it's best for your infantry to take care of those as quickly as possible before the tank takes position.

The handicapping doesn't affect combat (barbarians are the exception where the barbarian bonus that the human receives varies depending on difficulty level). At Noble difficulty everything is the same for player and AI. As you move up levels it becomes cheaper for the AI to build units and buildings, they also start with better units (I think at monarch and above they start with an archer instead of a warrier for example). The reverse happens at levels lower than noble.

The handicapping doesn't affect combat (barbarians are the exception where the barbarian bonus that the human receives varies depending on difficulty level). At Noble difficulty everything is the same for player and AI. As you move up levels it becomes cheaper for the AI to build units and buildings, they also start with better units (I think at monarch and above they start with an archer instead of a warrier for example). The reverse happens at levels lower than noble.

What? What the heck are you talking about?

• 4 weeks later...

I dont know if the AI is cheating, but i am certainly not having much success in the couple of scenarios I've tried. my pz iv's cannot seem to hit stationary shermans at less than 300 meters, and if they do hit, the round bounces off. meanwhile, the shermans have absolutely no problem hitting or killing my tanks.

I've tried a couple of different approaches without success, not sure what to try next...

• 2 months later...
What? What the heck are you talking about?

I think there is a civilization 1 wormhole in operation here.

I caught what he was saying LOL...

I kind of want to play Civ again.

On the topic, however, it seems to me like on the Crossroads scenario, it's maybe ridiculous that I get 3 tanks and 2 bazookas, while the enemy gets like 6 tanks and 4 halftracks. I mean I'm not in the least conditioned to the game, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to hold THAT off. I managed to take out maybe a couple tanks and halftracks, but lost all my tanks (no they weren't just out in the open either) and bazookas, and the arty was useless against their moving targets. It's tough, but I guess I just gotta keep trying and keep my mind open about new tactics.