Whats an airport without........

I noticed that there are several scenarios that deal with actions in and around airports. I have a question. What is an airport without airplanes, even wrecked ones? I am not sure such an object could be done for the game but would it be possible to turn say a building complex into something that might look like a plane. Maybe four level two or three connected buildings for the fuselage, two level two or three connected buildings on each side and perpendicular to the middle four buildings for the wings, and then a level six or eight and one level six on each side for the tail assembly. Now I don't know diddly about how to do graphics, much less something like this, but was just wondering if it would be possible? Chris.

After thinking about modifying buildings to represent an airliner, I thought "Well, if you did that, then all similar buildings would take on that appearance." So, that would mean that you would have an entire city of jet airliners with such a mod. Ah well, maybe these flavor items could be included in a new CMSF module. Chris.

After thinking about modifying buildings to represent an airliner, I thought "Well, if you did that, then all similar buildings would take on that appearance." So, that would mean that you would have an entire city of jet airliners with such a mod. Ah well, maybe these flavor items could be included in a new CMSF module. Chris.

Sadly development on CMSF has ended so BFC can concentrate on new projects :). This game wont get anymore atention!

Yeah it is a shame i still return to CMSF from time to time for a breather from WW2.Wouldn't have minded something being added to CMSF,ie who got what kills at the end of battles,like in CMBN.It'll never happened though.The guys have their hands full with OMG and Bulge modules no doubt,so can't complain.

As far as module wishing well-Israel.Eygpt,Syria scenarios would have been cool.

CMBN is the way forward but with CMSF,still getting literally hours and hours of gameplay from it.Theres still life in the old dog yet ;)

Aircraft wrecks block LOS but are practically useless, even hazardous, as cover. Most civil aircraft also tend to flee airports in advance of fighting, since insurance doesn't generally cover wartime losses. Inoperative planes would generally be in hangars.

So for all these reasons, even IF BFC were adding to CMSF I'd doubt this item would be very high on the list. One man's opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

LLF is right. When an airbase and its runways facilities are available near the front line and if they are more or less in view of the enemy, the planes are flown away. It is the same for all the technical staff for the planes and their materials. As for the choppers they might get in and out briefly, to move in or out troops and or casualties, but they don’t stay any longer.

That is why an airbase is present in some of my CMSF scenarios like “A Helluva Road Opening V1 ad V2” and the “ A Counter Attack at El Derjine”. The main fact being that planes and or choppers not damaged and or wrecked were not absolutely necessary to depict the airbase.

One other fact is that for a designer it is interesting to have an airbase, since it procures flat areas (providing some tactical worries) and that it might seems coherent to have one to explain some of the briefing objectives.

What I wish I could find in later BFC developments for CMSF, B-N or new ones, would be industrials and good railways tracks and facilities to be able to do make a scenario into these areas. LLF surely has the same idea.

• 2 weeks later...
LLF is right. When an airbase and its runways facilities are available near the front line and if they are more or less in view of the enemy, the planes are flown away. It is the same for all the technical staff for the planes and their materials. As for the choppers they might get in and out briefly, to move in or out troops and or casualties, but they don’t stay any longer.

That is why an airbase is present in some of my CMSF scenarios like “A Helluva Road Opening V1 ad V2” and the “ A Counter Attack at El Derjine”. The main fact being that planes and or choppers not damaged and or wrecked were not absolutely necessary to depict the airbase.

One other fact is that for a designer it is interesting to have an airbase, since it procures flat areas (providing some tactical worries) and that it might seems coherent to have one to explain some of the briefing objectives.

What I wish I could find in later BFC developments for CMSF, B-N or new ones, would be industrials and good railways tracks and facilities to be able to do make a scenario into these areas. LLF surely has the same idea.

Yes, I can see your reasons for not including aircraft at a major airport, or even a small one. However, I do remember seeing both intact and destroyed aircraft sitting on the tarmac at Hussein International Airport when the US invaded Baghdad. I think those flavor items would add a bit of extra fun to the game. And what about all the support items (towing tractors, baggage carriers, fuel trucks, fire fighting vehicles, even civilian vehicles in the airport parking decks)? You couldn't move everything out of the way before an approaching force reached its objective.

I agree, industrial complexes and railway yards (like those in Panzer Command Ostfront) would make for some interesting built up areas to fight in.

Helicopters????? Surely, a helicopter borne assault would be something that many of us would enjoy conducting. Might be a bit brutal to get your troops into the combat zone but it sure would be great to see some Black Hawks or a big old Chinook deliver the troops into a hot LZ. Maybe too much to wish for. I also feel that the player should have more control over armed helos and have a couple extra commands such as land or hover. Combat commands would be basically the same as the ground troops but they would have limited munitions and would not be able to engage in extended combat with ground units without having to return to base (fly off map). As I said, maybe a little too much to ask for. Or, maybe by the time BF gets around to doing a x3 version of CMSF I will have my BS in computer gaming development and they would hire me to work on it.

As for the future modules for CMBN, I feel that BF should introduce each module as the Allies advanced into France, then Belgium, and finally Germany. Not sure how they are going to handle the Eastern Front as that will be one hell of a project. Of course they should also include the North African campaigns, the invasion of Sicily and Italy, and modules for early war campaigns such as the invasion of France, Poland, and the Soviet Union. What about some small modules for say Crete and Malta or Partisan activities? Maybe handle this new CM like TAHGC did with Advanced Squad Leader. They could, and I hope they do, take this next generation CM very far. It could easily become the ultimate small unit tactical WWII games on the market. For a very long time, nobody could beat the old CM games.

Take care and thanks for the comments. Chris.