AI placed IEDs?

Hello, I'm new to the forums, but have been playing CMSF and the other series titles since release. I have recently begun experimenting with the scenario editor, and have created some quick, fun single player scenarios with more control than the quick battle allows.

My issue is as follows: When purchasing units for the Red team (Syrian Uncons), I select Cell, radio, and/or wire IEDs. The AI, however, seems incacpable of placing these units during the setup. I will fight to a conclusion, or declare a ceasefire, and the IEDs will be visible in the map review in neat rows of 4 where they spawned in. Sometimes the triggerman will be located in a forward position, but not the devices themselves.

I have treid varying combinations of setup zones and AI plans, but to no avail. I understand that for a fully scripted mission you can place them, but I want them to be placed randomly on the mapor within predefined general areas, so I will know they might be anywhere, but have no idea where.

If anyone knows a way to do this, I would appreciate the help. This is a frustrating issue!

Welcome! Yup, you can't rely on the AI to place, or properly use, IEDs in setup zones. You need to place them by hand during Deploy Units and have them start in that place. They will work in that case, and quite lethally too. Do some playtesting; you'll figure it out.

Minefields might work better if you really really want stuff to appear in a different place each time for replayability.

OK, thats too bad, I have been using the mission editor like a quick battle maker to allow for custom unit selection. Obviously if the missions are for myself to play, I can't be placing the IEDs! Mines might have to be the substitute, which is too bad since counter-measures are different, as are the results.

I don't suppose that there is a mod for this... Anyways, thanks so much for a quick reply.

Try out the VBIEDs too, although you need to program at least one AI Order for them (including destination zones) or else they're easy to spot and destroy as stationary targets. They will engage (KA-BOOM!!!) anything they encounter en route.

One tip though: each AI group must have more than one unit in it or it ignores its orders.

• 3 weeks later...

I have played some scenarios with IEDs (I really like blowing up the cab)....BOOOMM!!!, but I have looked at the AAR map at the conclusion of the scenario and I can see all the locations of the other types of IEDs, ones that my units have come very near to or have even moved over. Must be duds or maybe I killed the trigger man. I dare say that had they detonated, my guys would be heaven sent for sure.

Another question about IEDs. Can US/British/NATO engineers defuse these devices or is this something more involved than what the game can handle?

Some of the Brit APCs can prevent IEDs from detonating if they are kept close to their location. They jam the radio/cell signal. I don't think they'll prevent the low-tech IED from going off though.

IEDs can't be deactivated during a mission except by killing their dedicated IED observer. Once he's gone, either dead or driven from his position to a location from where he can't see the IEDs, they're useless. SMOKE will also prevent the IED spy rom observing the IED. Very useful to know when you're playing a mission designed for single play.

TBH, you're not going to get much of a challenge from a QB-generated battle once you've got a bit of experience playing. You'll definitely get a challenge from stand-alones though. GeorgeMc did some excellent stuff for this game. Try some of those out.

ECM fits on vehicles that Paper Tiger was referring to above should defeat the Cell Phone and RCIED unit types in game.

He is also being modest - Paper Tiger has done some great stuff for this game as well.

My experience with IED placement and IED units in self-designed missions has been very hit and miss with emphasis on the 'miss'. I've found it extremely tricky to get the spy to have the right LOS and remain hidden long enough to be able to attempt to detonate the device. It might just be me but at the end of the day this is one of the aspects of mission and campaign design that requires mucho mucho play testing.