How can I select a waypoint?

How can I select a waypoint along the path I have given a unit?

For example, I'd like my unit to pause for 10 seconds at its first waypoint. I select the unit, select the Movement panel, select the type of Movement (almost always Quick), click the map where I want the unit to stop, and then select the Admin panel, and select Pause twice. The unit shows the desired 10 sec pause, but the pause occurs before the unit moves rather than at the waypoint where I want the unit to wait.

I can't select the waypoint directly, because clicking on the position of the waypoint just deselects the unit I wish to command. As many units may share a particular waypoint, clicking on the waypoint's position would be ambiguous in any event. Obviously, I must select the unit first. What do I do then?

Are you clicking on the colored lines? That will deselect the unit. You have to click on the white ball at the end of the movement line, or if you have multiple waypoints you may also click the white triangles. When you do they will enlarge and glow brighter. You may then give pause and other orders to be carried out at that waypoint.

If you are already doing this and it doesn't work then there's something wrong.

I'm pretty sure you can also click on the line leading to each point. Edit: Tested, and yes, clicking on the lines works.

You have to click exactly on the circle/triangle/line, or it will just deselect the unit. Which now that I think about it seems silly, and rather poor design.