Questions About Mods

I just purchased the game about 10 days ago and I can see that there are a lot of mods. I have a couple of questions about mods. I read the following from the thread titled How To Install Mods.

HOW TO CREATE A MOD FOLDER: Open your Combat Mission Battle For Normandy folder...go to the data folder...If you do not have a z folder in your data folder...create a folder, name it z and place it in your data folder.

It's that simple. All your mods will go in the z folder.

WHAT CAN I PLACE IN THE Z FOLDER?: Brz files, BMPs and WAVs, Text files, and any folders containing the aforementioned.

For more detailed info there is a readme in the Mod Tools folder of your CMBN game.

For more detailed info see pages 150-152 of your CMBN manual or the PDF manual.

From what I can understand in reading the manual, once I unzip a mod in to the z folder, the program will automatically load that mod.

(1) If in the future I decide that I no longer want that mod, is it as simple as deleting it from the z folder?

(2) Does installing mods change the way or add additional steps to installing updates? For example, if I install a mod, what happens when version 1.2 is released?

Thanks.

CMX2 loads the mods once you place them in the z folder and start the game. You can't load a mod while the game is running, it won't show up. Same when you take a mod out, make sure the game is shut down or it won't take effect until then.

To get rid of the mod you just pull it from the z folder...best to take it completely out of the data folder.

Patches only screw with mods if there is a change...for example; you have a German helmet mod loaded and the patch has renamed the helmet bmps and in that case the game will load the stock textures. Best thing to do when you patch is to take your z folder out of the data folder, patch and then put it back in after you make sure the patch was installed correctly.

Most of us modders are pretty keen to keep our stuff updated. Usually the first thing we do, at least me, is explode the patch brz and see what's what.

Mord.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a question about mods too.

Can you mod the icons and bases, or the height above the unit the icon is positioned?

Maybe it is my eyesight or my laptop screen but I find it barely possible to see units and I don't like the floating icons. What I would like therefore is to have all unit bases lit up brightly - not just the selected unit; and then play with icons off.

Alternatively, maybe if you can adjust the height of the icons so if I switched this so the icon was actually on the unit - it might not look nice but at least I could see exactly where my units were.

I've got a question about mods too.

Can you mod the icons and bases, or the height above the unit the icon is positioned?

You can only mod the bases. There's no way to have them turned on at all times. They can only light up when you click on the unit. The height of icons cannot be modded either.

I have a question about EZs uniform mods. Is it possible to use the Khaki AND the OD mods or do you have to choose one or the other?

The .BMP files seem to have the same name. And yet in game I get a mix of Khaki and OD.

Am I missing something?

If you label them consecutively you can have a mix of them all. us-soldier-uniform 1, us-soldier-uniform 2 etc.

The reason you might be seeing a mix now is that one of the OD unis has brown pants.

Mord.