Two Player Setup

Playing H2H in a CW scenario, "Keep Calm and Carry On" the Axis defense (me) starts in a default setup in what the AI would do if there was just a single Allied player.

I don't know if I should change, tweak or just leave the setup alone.

I mean, didn't the designer put a lot of thought into where things should be setup for the best chance at the Axis stopping the Allies?

Should a scenario, when choosing the 2 Player option, default to to a grouping similar to when reinforcements enter and let a human do the setup?

Playing H2H in a CW scenario, "Keep Calm and Carry On" the Axis defense (me) starts in a default setup in what the AI would do if there was just a single Allied player.

I don't know if I should change, tweak or just leave the setup alone.

I mean, didn't the designer put a lot of thought into where things should be setup for the best chance at the Axis stopping the Allies?

Should a scenario, when choosing the 2 Player option, default to to a grouping similar to when reinforcements enter and let a human do the setup?

When i play H2H double blind custom scenarios i look at the deployment zones and the positioning of fortifications, if don't like anything i discuss it with my opponent and then change it, my opponent does the same and then we play the game.

Defence is usually where the most modifications have to be made because a lot of designers set up the defenders forces mainly for playing the AI, so when a human player plays defence, they should have the freedom to place units where they want within the area they control.

One example was a scenario where the Axis had to defend a river with multiple crossing points, there were so many hedgehog obstacles allocated to the Axis it was possible to block every crossing bar one which would of turned the game into a duckshoot, so i removed all the hedgehogs, as not only were their too many they are indestructable as well, and i don't like using a weapon that has no counter measure.

The default setup is not necessarily the best possible setup for a human player, because the designer has to go with certain limitations of the AI - eg. a human player could keep a reserve platoon in the back and wait to see if the enemy will come from left, right or centre. The AI couldn't react in such a dynamic way, though. The AI could also have several plans and the default deployment might not be the most effective of even those. Eg. Keep Calm etc. has two plans for both sides, and the other German plan is quite different in nature.

But I would like to see it as the lazy/beginner player's help. It might not be the most brilliant setup, but it can be used as a basis for a quick start or if you're not sure how to go with the units. Surely a master genius will start from scratch. I usually go 50-50 in my games, mostly relying on the default setup but adjusting some key assets like AT guns or units I feel might be endangered.

Surely a master genius will start from scratch. I usually go 50-50 in my games, mostly relying on the default setup but adjusting some key assets like AT guns or units I feel might be endangered.

You don't have to be a master genius to start from scratch, its simple enough to change set up zones and place units in them, and once that's done the result of the battle will reflect more the skill of the player at setting up a good defence as much as fighting one, however if you are a masochist or want a disclaimer if you lose, just stick with the designers default :)

Well, for one thing the location of where the truppen start at when you load the scenario isn't necessarily where the AI will be putting them when it's setting up because the designer can use setup locations that are different from where the truppen are located as the default. Generally speaking, I never use a default setup because you never know for certain if the opponent has looked at it or even played the scenario prior to playing against you.

I find that doing a partial setup by just adjusting the default isn't very good because no matter what I'm doing I'm still thinking like the designer to some extent and not myself. I always take all my truppen and relocate them to an open field somewhere in my setup area and then start by setting up heavy AT weapons, followed by my HMGs, and finally by my infantry squads. That way I am not influenced by the designer in any way and I may actually find a better defensive design by starting from scratch. Sometimes I end up with something similar to the default, but I got there my own way.