New file at the Repository: Maltot Full Map (2012-03-07)

Guys just to add the above

This map is the uncut master map for the "Into the Shadow of the Hill" series of scenarios.

It measures 1.6k x 4k, covering the area Fontaine Etoupefour, Eterville, Maltot.

This uncut map is not included in the CW module and so is available in the repository for anybody that wishes to use it

P

I think all of the Maltot and Chateua de Fontaine maps are exellent in that they are extremely accurate both in terms of terrain and scale. I have one criticism and please dont take it the wrong way, the elevations are all wrong. For my own use I have updated the elevations from the 1944 original 1:25,000 maps that I have. I am happy to share if anyone is interested.

Eterville and Chateau de fontaine wer on the easterly spur of Hill 112 and as a result the route from the FUP at Fontaine-Etoupefour was all uphill. Both locations had a commanding view over the Odon, Caen and Maltot behind.

Maltot was in a re-entrant from the Orne and the elevations seemed to be mpre accurate but Maltot was dominated by the high ground at Eterville and Ch de Fontaine but also from the reverse slopes of Hill 112 and St Martin (which ultimately caused the demise of the attack there). I think Long range fire from St Martin down into Maltot was part of the problem and is hard to simulate on this tactical scale even with a large map like this. The gentle slopes up from Maltot to North, West and South are essential for the map to give an idea of the challenge faced.

That said - fanrtastic maps thank you for all of the effort

Peachy hi and thanks for your input, but I'm going to call you wrong ;)

I also have the 1:25000 map of the area (sheet 37/16SE), however Google Earth and the French Cartes IGN have a very different set of elevation data. I am confident that these are correct given the modern methods used, and that the basic underlying terrain will not have changed much from the war, hence in my opionion the British Army maps are wrong.

I did consider just shaping the contours as per these maps, but in the end I decided to go with the actual terrain and throw an additional problem at the attentive player, in so much that the terrain and battle maps do not match. So I stand by my contention this map is an accurate representation of the area and actual elevations, but do agree with you that it differs from the maps the British used.

P

Thanks Pete, that image is hugely helpful to match the game map to the real areas covered! I really appreciated the Google Maps "pins" Sergei posted yesterday, too -- but (not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth) what would be most useful is a .kmz file with polygons showing the *boundaries* of the CW module maps, not just a pin indicating the general area. That would actually make it possible to see what the maps cover, and for the community to fill in the blanks by mapping adjoining or nearby areas.

Pete

Having checked IGN I can see you are spot on. I am surprised given the lengths that the dday cartographers went to, however it appears that sheet 37/16E has the spur about 500m too far south! I also note that Hill 112 is actually a 111m spot height at the crest whereas on the 1944 map it is 112 but on the reverse slope of a 120m ring contour. This explains a lot as the 1944 map would have you believe that the Cornwalls fought on the reverse slope of 112 but actually they were pretty much on the crest!

Re Google I am not so sure, I think outside of the USA they use SRTM data which kind of averages everything out. This means that in fetaureless areas you cn get elevations within 1m but in lumpy areas it can be as much as 30 metres out in every 100. I think in most areas the error range is 1-9 metres which is acceptable for most apps.