Great Success - The 4GB Patch Works on CMBN-CW

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm at work and will not have access to the Commonwealth goodness until I get home - what do I need to do to get CMBN running with 4GBs of RAM?

64 bit OS and then look at my post history in the tech support forum. There was a way to force the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag on a program even if it didn't request it.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?p=1314635#post1314635

Nope, 32-ers need to do extra stuff, because your OS isn't expecting that you're going to try and run programs that need a larger address space.

The improvements that a Large Address Aware patcher would provide are already included in the exe and will automatically be used if possible, but for a 32-bit OS you need to explicitly tell your OS that you want to use them.

But how? A link? Something?

I'm working on a Knowledgebase article. If you've got 64-bit Windows 7 or Vista you don't need to do anything. There'll be separate instructions for 32-bit XP and Vista/Windows 7.

I think I already know the answer to this before I post it... but I'm going to take a shot anyway... is there any chance (hopefully most of the work done will port over easily) for an OOM patch for CMSF? Even if it's like the CMAK $5 patch I'd be more than happy to pay for it (I paid for the CMAK one and I have never played CMAK since - I just wanted to support the effort).

You guys at BFC have now got the game to use 4G of ram and it has made a huge difference to the smoothness of the game which is brilliant.

Is there a reason why you didn't just instruct the game to make use of all the available ram on the end users system?

You guys at BFC have now got the game to use 4G of ram and it has made a huge difference to the smoothness of the game which is brilliant.

Is there a reason why you didn't just instruct the game to make use of all the available ram on the end users system?

That would only really be possible under 64-bit operating systems, and it would require a separate 64-bit version of the game. That may happen at some time in the future but it would essentially double the effort to test and release the game, so it's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Instead we instructed the operating system to allow the game to use as big of an address space as it could allow for a 32-bit application. This depends on the operating system in question, and in some cases on user settings.

That would only really be possible under 64-bit operating systems, and it would require a separate 64-bit version of the game. That may happen at some time in the future but it would essentially double the effort to test and release the game, so it's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Instead we instructed the operating system to allow the game to use as big of an address space as it could allow for a 32-bit application. This depends on the operating system in question, and in some cases on user settings.

A 64-bit version at some point in the future sounds good. At the moment it is running sweet as a nut, good job.

Cheers Phil

ps you did not answer my question about the Market Garden Module ;-) will it take another 12months or you looking at a 2012 release?

I think I already know the answer to this before I post it... but I'm going to take a shot anyway... is there any chance (hopefully most of the work done will port over easily) for an OOM patch for CMSF? Even if it's like the CMAK $5 patch I'd be more than happy to pay for it (I paid for the CMAK one and I have never played CMAK since - I just wanted to support the effort).

That's a good question. It's also one I don't have a definitive or official answer for. It would require a significant amount of work to do, though, and a lot of testing time.

That's a good question. It's also one I don't have a definitive or official answer for. It would require a significant amount of work to do, though, and a lot of testing time.

Phil, thanks for taking the time to respond to all the questions and posts you respond to (including mine!). IMHO, BF is lucky to have a high quality guy like you on board...