Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Performance Help with CMBN (not CW)

Hello All:

In my system, CMBN looks pretty poor as it fills in the detail as I move forward. For example, a wheat field will look like a dull blob until I move the camera forward. As I move forward, it starts painting in the detail of the wheat field so you see the flowing grain, etc.

I have shadows off. My system is Dell Latitude E6500 laptop (2.5 GHz).

This happens in all scenarios and for all types of terrain. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance,

Gerry

I believe what you're seeing is, unfortunately, normal. The CMBN graphics engine doesn't really draw the 'horizon' (populated scenery items on the map) out too far; something that happens in CMSF too. The 'horizon' is not adjustable by the user with any specific setting. Instead the graphics engine determines (to a certain extent) how far out to draw the items on the map. It bases this on the amount of graphics memory available and some other details to determine what the best performance may be for the game. It might be possible to change the 'horizon' a little by reducing the level of '3D Texture Quality' in the 'Options' menu, however I don't know how much, if any, difference this may make to the 'horizon'.

Hopefully sometime in the future (a different 'family' game, after CMBN) the horizon will be something the end user can adjust specifically.