Gun movement after/during set-up

I hope that 2 screenshots are visible.

In one, you can see the orange hue of a set-up zone. When I "face" the gun in the same direction as the sandbag wall during set-up, then rather than placing it in the centre for maximum protection it places it at one side (in same position as you see it in the second screenshot which I'll come on to later). I achieve the set-up shown by "facing" it perpendicular to one edge of the sandbag wall and then issuing a "cover arc" so that it rotates to be as shown. I then cancel the "cover arc" command. The gun stays happily set up as shown while I position my other forces.

Then I hit go and the game saves and I send it to my opponent. When I get a return file the gun has moved to the position it "wanted" to be in before I "tricked" it in to being in the position that I wanted (second screenshot). Since the game is now underway I, of course, can't move it (within the action spot). Just to be clear, all of this is happening within the same action spot.

My question is, is this a known occurrence and planned to be fixed? Either by a "better" automatic lining up of a gun with a sandbag wall or by not allowing the position to be re-set after the player has set it up?

post-33345-141867623639_thumb.jpg

post-33345-14186762364_thumb.jpg

Have experienced this often. The real question in terms of gameplay is whether the game "system" acts as if the gun is protected by the sandbags in all those situations - ie: what we see is simply a graphic abstraction.

We see this issue with foxholes and probably trenches etc. as well. But, so far I do not recall any definitive answer to the question - even though it is often claimed that "what you see is what you get".

This happens when the scenario author paints a yellow set up zone in the AI...the AI repositions seemingly everything from what you laboriously set up. When I make my own scenarios, I never paint a yellow set up zone for either side anymore. Things stay put that way. So I suppose you could go into the editor and remove the painted setup zones before you start the game. I don't if a poem would act any differently, though.

I hope that 2 screenshots are visible.

Use Photobucket to post pictures, load the picture into photobucket then go to the gallery to select it, copy the pictures IMG code and paste that in with your message, it will display the image a lot larger than yours.

Damn it to hell! Yes, "doubt", not "don't". I have to start proofing everything I type on this thing!

Also a possible caveat...I do paint the red and blue set up zones when I am in the Map section of the editor, because I seem to recall that there might be a problem with reinforcements or even with troops that start on map having their orders mucked up without a painted red/blue set up zone. It's when I'm in the AI section that I don't paint them in.

A while back I complained about how guns would position themselves in trenches, and the answer from BFC was "don't try to use fortifications to protect guns". I'm pretty sure that's what they said. Since I was talking, at the time, about trenches, maybe it doesn't apply to sandbags ... but I'm guessing maybe it does?

GaJ

Michael, I have drafted, edited, reviewed, analyzed, and negotiated construction and procurement contracts for a living the past 27 years, and occasionally edited and drafted legislation to boot. I just can't bring myself to proof as frequently on my time off. Especially when our cats want to swarm in my lap and swat my fingers as I type!

Michael, I have drafted, edited, reviewed, analyzed, and negotiated construction and procurement contracts for a living the past 27 years, and occasionally edited and drafted legislation to boot. I just can't bring myself to proof as frequently on my time off. Especially when our cats want to swarm in my lap and swat my fingers as I type!

We all have our crosses to bear, don't we?

:D

Michael