commonwealth module backwards compatibility

I am in the midst of a CMBN tournament that will likely not conclude for at least two more months, and I also have a couple of casual PBEM games going. If I install the commonwealth module upon release, will I be able to continue my current games, as well as start future games with opponents who choose not to install the commonwealth module (for whatever reason)?

If not, what would you suggest? Perhaps a second install of CMBN + Commonwealth in a different directory?

I am in the midst of a CMBN tournament that will likely not conclude for at least two more months, and I also have a couple of casual PBEM games going. If I install the commonwealth module upon release, will I be able to continue my current games, as well as start future games with opponents who choose not to install the commonwealth module (for whatever reason)?

If not, what would you suggest? Perhaps a second install of CMBN + Commonwealth in a different directory?

You can still continue playing CMBN with your opponents. You cannot play Commonwealth games with opponents who don't have the module. The only problem (from my experience from CMSF) is that the module will most probably come with a patch. Games started in an older version of the game may not work when you patch.

Luckily you can copy the whole Combat Mission and keep two differently patched versions of the game.

Luckily you can copy the whole Combat Mission and keep two differently patched versions of the game.

That was just what I did when the first patch came out. I had two versions of game installed for a while. One without the patch applied and one with.

One opponent did not want to try update our game to the patch so I just used the original copy to play those turns. One game failed to work after trying to upgrade so we played that game with the original game as well. One opponent and I successfully upgraded our game and I played those turns with my separate install of the game plus patch.

A lot of Beta guys simply make a second copy of the whole game folder before updating. That way you can run through your outstanding PBEMs before discarding it. The game with module will still play against a game without as long as you're not playing Commonwealth forces and as long as your opponent has kept up with the game patches.