Has ATGM accuracy been toned down?

Apache

I ask because I was playing NATO before, prior to 1.32, and on the elite setting, in the first mission of the German campaign, I found I had to be REALLY careful cresting a ridge with an AFV as invariably it would be 'bang'. ATGM hit and dead.

Now I've noticed that often I can crest a ridge and many times, when an ATGM fires, it tends to just hit the dirt a few hundred metres in front of the firer, not even getting close to the target?? Seems odd as before I found the various ATGMs lethal. Maybe it was just a run of good luck for the German army and poor targeting, system failure by the OPFOR?

Yeah, accept that. This was same scenario though. 1st mission in German campaign in NATO. Previously if I even just crested a ridge with a Leo they were dead. Now the ATGMs seem to land just 100 metres beyond the launcher. I've noticed even the Marder Milans whack the dirt half way to target. Odd.

Can't say that I've noticed this but there was a big gap where I was just playing CMBN before I went back to Shock Force when the patch came out. In fact, IIRC, one of the fixes in the patch was to stop ATGMs slamming into the ground well short of their targets when they shouldn't have been, so if anything they should be more effective. What I can say though is that after playing a good bit of CMBN I am much better at placing my tanks in hull down positions. Could it be this that's leading you to take fewer tank casualties?

On the other hand, I don't think that you can really draw any conclusions from one game.

Oh it's not one game. I tried this scenario many times and got deadly accurate hits from the ATGMs. Also tried a few times recently and got the ATGMs hitting the dirt. No big deal really. I'll start the scenario a few times again and bang the Leos straight over the ridge. Maybe its just some random chances that they got lucky recently.

Odd. I think often they hit the ground because if the firer is inexperienced or under fire he probably flies the missile into the ground by accident. Also I think wire guided ATGM's had an option for the firer to cut the wire if they wanted. then the missile would.. explode.

Obviously I dont think this is all of your problem though. I started the German campaign one day when I got frustrated at CMBN, and I noticed much of the same. Every ATGM fired at me seemed to become a lawn dart. Though in other scenarios, I had your same experience again - super lethal ATGMS.

I've moved back to CMSF from BN to play the brit campaign and just the other day I had a very scary encounter with ATGMs.

My challengers peaked over a hillcrest and the missiles started flying. One Challanger got hit pretty bad, knocked out the targeting, optics and smoke launchers.

Another was about half a second from dying when it got a good hit with the 120 main on the ATGM crew which made the missile spin away out-of-control as the ATGM gunner died. This was at a distance of some 2000m at which you normally expect western tanks to hold an edge.