operational art of war

What format was the raw data in xml, proprietary or something else?

Sorry, we are wandering too deep into NDA territory here!

Just take my word for it: it is complicated data, and while it appears easy to handle it in theory, the amount of work to actually do it is too much 'just for fun'.

Best regards,

Thomm

Just take my word for it: it is complicated data, and while it appears easy to handle it in theory, the amount of work to actually do it is too much 'just for fun'.

Who is doing anything here for fun?

Seriously: the data is already in an organised format - it must be else CM wouldn't work. There are some evil formats but as long as it is documented you can read and write it.

Here might be a snag: maybe the format gives away too much information for BFCs taste. So they would have to write an ex- and import tool from their own format to some other format. This may really be quite some work and may have hampered the existence of such an interface.

Still such a thing would IMHO greatly raise the appeal of CM as a whole.

+1 to the use of good board wargames to run operations/campaigns for CMBN.

It's fun, it adds realism, and you can do it right now instead of waiting/hoping CMBN someday gives you that capability. CMBN is great as a tactical game, and even if BFC tried to give it those operational levels, I'm sure people would complain about it and pick apart all its shortcomings. It can't be all things to all people.

I'm playing with noob in the operational campaign that he is running right now. It is a lot of fun. So far, I haven't seen a SINGLE battle that you would normally play in a Quick Battle or even a designed scenario for H2H combat. Really, the sky is the limit as to what forces might oppose each other in a campaign. ..... and the losses have SO much more meaning!!! :)

I would highly recommend anyone who is interested to at least join as an observer on one of the teams so they can get a feel for how this works.

Also nice about this campaign is our use of box.net. This adds an extra layer as box comes built-in with discussion-board features and also allows people to put comments on individual files. (it's a heck of a lot better than dropbox) This lets teams better coordinate operational moves and also allows for commanders to brief each other as to how their progress is coming along.

Also nice about this campaign is our use of box.net. This adds an extra layer as box comes built-in with discussion-board features and also allows people to put comments on individual files. (it's a heck of a lot better than dropbox) This lets teams better coordinate operational moves and also allows for commanders to brief each other as to how their progress is coming along.

If only box.net had a free client that does so seamlessly connect with your local file system as dropbox does...

But else I agree! :)