Boy, AI fire is very, very, very accurate

... i don't suppose there is a mod for Kursk that nerfs fire accuracy, is there?

The pinpoint precision of AI fire is really an enjoyment killer. One would not know that laser-guided munitions were still decades into the future based on the picture of 1943 warfare ToW2 presents.

Too many experiences with this to enumerate. But playing Syrtsev-Dubrova Line mission yesterday just confirmed for me that AI fire is just way, way, way too accurate. I've started playing on "Novice" just in order to have a fighting chance. My AFV's still get hit countless times with incredible accuracy, but at least it's not the typical "one shot = Mobility kill" that I usually experience on "Regular" difficulty.

In Syrtsev-Dubrova, I captured the big russian strongpoint (furthermost to West of map), taking reasonably heavy casualties, 2 Panther mobility kills, 1 StuG mobility kill, etc. In an effort to take the 2nd strongpoint -- and after a lot of softening it up and making sure as many dug-in AT's and T-34s were knocked out as I could, I had an assault group of 3 Panthers, 1 Tiger, 1 StuG plus supporting infantry and arty. I had captured several russian AT guns and had an 88 with decent LOF trained against some of the remaining russian tank emplacements to the far north of the map. I laid smoke screen north, waited for it to develop (... it does not last very long) and started shelling the russian tank emplacements. My idea was, during this preemptive barrage, to rush my tanks in sequence over the antitank-trench landbridge between Strongpoints 2 and 3, knowing that 2 and 3 were mostly neutralized by this point in the battle, and my main concern was the remaining Northward russian tank emplacements.

all this planning and prepping for nothing. despite being screened by smoke, despite having a decent counter-battery going, despite having my tanks move at full speed (Move, not Assault order), the T34s were infallible (firing at ranges of over 1000 m., mind you). Blam, Blam, Blam, Blam -- my Panthers, *moving at full speed over open terrain,* took hit after hit after hit. * Virtually no misses * (possibly no misses, period), just hit after hit. In less than a minute, their tracks were turned to shreds and my assault was dead in the water.

Now, I like challenges. Really, I do. But this was just a moment of "WTF - Really? this is absurd." Apparently, all AI tanks and AT guns are manned by the most expert marksmen the world has ever seen. Target moving at full speed? No matter. AI can get 100% or near 100% accuracy against it. It's a simple fact for anyone who has played ToW2 that AI, no matter unit/gun type (arty barrage excepted), hits you far, far more often than it misses you. That, and it can see a fly on a blade of grass at 1000 m. and mow it down with ease. I had a squad of infantry completely prone, behind tree cover and in high grass, and not moving, firing, or making a peep. Suddenly, a maxim opens up on it, again from several hundred meters away. Wipes out 75% of the squad in a heartbeat.

Very frustrating.

Anyone who could mod AI fire down to reasonable accuracy %s would do much to rescue this game.

editor is your friend comments show you how to easily alter the balance to your liking via the veterancy (example is ToW1 but the same logic applies)

2heinie.jpg

You can alter a single soldier or a whole unit/crew.

Like it says, even reducing a single tank from elite to regular can change the whole battle.

If that isn't enough you can add or remove units....

I appreciate these tips -- many thanks --

Is firing accuracy *strongly* correlated to unit veterancy? I.e. an Elite unit/crew is a much better shot than Regular?

I can only assume the T34 in Syrtsev-Dubrova which was a near perfect shot vs. my rushing Panthers was an Elite crew... Will see if I can figure out how to check using the Editor. If it was merely Veteran or Regular, well, that will be depressing to find out --

Just checked this mission, T-34 crews are elite:) Changing them to regular would make things easier for you i think, but since in this battle Germans had superior armament T-34s are easily knocked out, elite crews or not. Don't expose your sides and even one Tiger can knock them all out one by one since they are in static defence. Its not a good idea to expose Panther side even to a 45mm gun, not mentioning a 76mm one (weak side armor).

Elite crews have little aiming error, but there is also an inherent accuracy of a gun that is not affected by gunner skill. Also i seriously doubt there is a 1000m distance, 400-500m maybe.

Just checked this mission, T-34 crews are elite:) Changing them to regular would make things easier for you i think, but since in this battle Germans had superior armament T-34s are easily knocked out, elite crews or not. Don't expose your sides and even one Tiger can knock them all out one by one since they are in static defence. Its not a good idea to expose Panther side even to a 45mm gun, not mentioning a 76mm one (weak side armor).

Elite crews have little aiming error, but there is also an inherent accuracy of a gun that is not affected by gunner skill. Also i seriously doubt there is a 1000m distance, 400-500m maybe.

Thanks for the good tips. I'll try this approach next time with my Tiger, although it's not easy to keep even a Tiger mostly intact in these missions! I guess "lesson learned" about not exposing side armor, like you say. 1000m distance was a heat-of-the-moment exaggeration -- apologies -- but the firing accuracy of those T34 elite crews was really no exaggeration. They treated my Panthers like ducks in a shooting gallery.