Raiding Highlighted Areas around ports

Still playing my first game and am loving it so far. I very rarely get my butt kicked by an AI in games and even though this one is far from over, right now it still feels like I'm losing badly.

Couple of questions about raiding via the areas that have a merchant ship silhouette on the map:

1. In Europe most of the big ports have those markings but in Japan there aren't any that I've seen so far. Just wondering about that. US subs in the Pacific can't park off Japan but have to go after the routes instead?

2. There's a group of those silhouettes in the middle of the Pacific far from any major port. It's not really clear who those belong to. Which side can raid by attacking attacking those. I'm guessing both sides can go after that area but I'm not sure how that would work.

I'm playing the default.

I have the answer for #2 after tonight's session. I play the Pacific zoomed out and didn't notice the island port close to the silhouettes.

I kind of have the answer for #1 too. The convoy routes are so dense around Japan it wouldn't really make sense to put markings around some of those ports.

Amazing how addictive this game is...and it's also sent me to my books to see if the thinking of the leaders back then match my own for some decisions. Truly imerssive.