cma install

Am posting this re my CMA reinstall as I didn't see tech support on the CMA forums.

Re my earlier posts re CMSF and CMA no longer working on my desktop after working fine several months ago.

I renamed my existing CMA folder OLD CMA and reinstalled CMA to C:\SIMS\CMA

However, after the initial install it doesn't run. Absolutely nothing happens. (There is a squiggly "wait" icon for a few seconds, then nothing. So, I haven't applied patch 1.02 or 1.03.)

It's been so long since I first installed and ran these games. What's the checklist to troubleshoot? (I predict I'll have the same issues when I try and reinstall CMSF.)

Thanks...

I unlicensed and uninstalled CMA successfully from C:\SIMS\ and then went to ZoneAlarm "Game Mode" and made it ALLOW communication without alerts.

Relicensed successfully and installed. But, CMA still won't launch even when RUN AS ADMIN.

Installed the 2 patches to 1.03 just for the hell of it, but still doesn't run of course.

Recently, I installed CMN, CMA and CMSF on my new laptop. With the first two there was no problem. With the latter, I was successful in installing the base game, but the module discs would not work because for some reason the 'install' buttons remained inoperative.

After much tearing out of hair I took drastic action. I repurchased the modules bundle as a download. This worked like a charm although I could have done without the extra expense:(

Erwin me ole mucker, you have my full sympathy... and yes, I know this doesn't help:confused:

SLR

ZoneAlarm has issues with eLicense. For the 'firewall only' product you typically have to UNINSTALL the 'ZoneAlarm Toolbar' (found in Add/Remove Programs or 'Programs and Features' control panels) to get eLicense games to work. With the more comprehensive 'security suites' you need to disable 'Web Security' (within ZoneAlarm) for eLicense to work. I'm not sure any of the 'Game modes' will work, which I assume is just for games communicating through the firewall, which isn't initially the issue here.

You actually DO NOT have to completely uninstall ZoneAlarm (assuming this is the 'free firewall'). You just need to uninstall the 'ZoneAlarm Toolbar', which has a separate uninstaller. It won't be applying some rules to your browser, but it will protect you in other ways (though not necessarily to the same extent as with the Toolbar present).

Well I uninstalled ZA and CMA suddenly started working fine(!) :)

I previously got rid of the ZA Toolbar, but maybe it came back during an auto update.

Forgot how to find and delete the Toolbar part, so plz let me know as I will probably reinstall ZA (after I reinstall CMSF).

When I looked in the Programs and Features panel prior to uninstalling ZA I did not see a separate listing for Toolbar - just one for ZA.

After uninstalling ZA both CMA and CMSF immediately worked fine (without any reinstalling of CMSF).

Incidentally, ZA now has a "Games" setting that supposedly allows communications not to be blocked. But, it didn't seem to help in this case.

I will try and reinstall ZA now and see if things still work ok.

For ZoneAlarm it isn't necessarily 'blocked communications' that is affecting the game. The Toolbar/'Web Security' just simply interferes with eLicense and prevents the licensing service from running properly.

Typically it is the 'free firewall' that will usually install the 'ZoneAlarm Toolbar'. Other versions of ZoneAlarm that perform additional security features will not have the 'toolbar', but instead have services of 'Web Security' and 'Forcefield'.

Well, I had both CMSF and CMA running fine. I downloaded and installed ZA being careful to NOT select Toolbar from the options.

Now, CMA and CMSF no longer run. (CMBN still runs fine.)

Checked Programs and Features and there is only one line item for ZA: "ZA Free". There is no ZA Toobar to get rid of, or at least I cannot find it.

Any ideas?

Worst case scenario I guess I have to permanently get rid of ZA. What is its problem with CMSF and CMA? The elicense stuff?

Yes, ZoneAlarm is interfering with the operation of eLicense. It is acting as MORE than a simple firewall. I have not taken a look at the latest versions of the free firewall. It's possible that the security feature that the 'ZoneAlarm Toolbar' performed has been further integrated into the free firewall. Look for something called 'Web Security' or something to that effect and "disable" it if you can find it.

Erwin: open the Windows Control Panel. click on Administrative Tools and then click on Services.

the ZoneAlarm Toolbar will be the last item in the Services list.

disable it by right-clicking on it and choosing Properties and you will find the option to Disable the service in the box next to Startup Type:

after disabling the Toolbar, CMSF will run and you can still use ZoneAlarm.

Just curious... How did you discover that item is the Toolbar if it doesn't say ZoneAlarm anyplace?

Anyhow, I reinstalled ZoneAlarm... It gives one the choice to install the Toolbar, so I always uncheck that box so Toolbar should not be installed.

After installation I checked Programs and Services - the item you listed above does not exist there, although yes if you drill down thru the folders it is present in the folder as you say. CMA and CMSF do not load.

I moved IswSvc.exe to the desktop but CMSF and CMA still do not load.

I reboot, and now both CMA and CMSF load fine. :)

So IswSvc.exe seems to be the culprit. But, since I unchecked the option to load the Toolbar when I installed ZA, what is IswSvc??

i don't have the ZoneAlarm Toolbar listed in Programs and Features either.

on the Control Panel click on Administrative Tools and then on Services. the ZoneAlarm Toolbar is the last service in the list.

i have the ZoneAlarm Toolbar listed in my Services List, all i had to do was right-click on it and then click on Properties.

the Properties tab showed me that IswSvc.exe was the .exe for the Toolbar.

i changed the Startup Type from Manual to Disabled.

with the Toolbar Disabled, CMSF will run.

clipboard01qpu.jpg

i un-checked the Toolbar option when installing ZoneAlarm also.

the Toolbar was still installed.