Aiming, Firing... Aiming, Firing... or not?

I seem to be plagued by tanks that use the 'green text' to show that the gunner is 'aiming' and then 'firing' only to discover that nothing has come out of the barrel and that no ammo has been used.

I've seen a few tanks (with a blue target line to an enemy vehicle) go through a series of 4 or 5 'aiming' and 'firing' messages per turn and yet just sit there like lemons.

Do other players experience this? Am I doing something wrong?

I have it happen too. I think what is happening is this. Your TC in the hatch has full LOS to the target, the gunner looking through the sight has partial LOS to target. I only get this when I am trying to get in a hull down position or there might be trees in the LOS.

• 2 weeks later...

What kills me is when the info tells me I am firing, I am not firing, and the enemy Stug has full LOS on me and plinks me with an AP round. I had a Sherman 76 soak up 7 Stug round while he never once fired in response. Granted, I was stoked that with the angle the sherman was sitting at it would soak up 7 AP rounds, but come on. He can shoot me, I can't shoot him??

What kills me is when the info tells me I am firing, I am not firing, and the enemy Stug has full LOS on me and plinks me with an AP round. I had a Sherman 76 soak up 7 Stug round while he never once fired in response. Granted, I was stoked that with the angle the sherman was sitting at it would soak up 7 AP rounds, but come on. He can shoot me, I can't shoot him??

This is not necessarily unrealistic -- tanks are not point entities, and it is entirely possible for the Stug to have LOF to a significant part of the Sherman, while the silhouette of the Stug is completely blocked by some object from the line of the Sherman's gunsight/bore.

For example, consider the case of a Sherman whose bow is sticking out around the corner of a house - The driver or Bow MG gunner might be able to see a Stug around the corner, and the gunner of said Stug might be able to see and shoot at the bow of the Sherman, but the turret of the Sherman might still be back behind the house, where there is no LOF from the main gun to the Stug.

So, in and of itself, this kind of non-reciprocal LOF is entirely possible.

IMHO, the real problem in CMBN lies in the fact that the unit AI doesn't "know" what to do in a situation like this. That is, IRL, the Sherman driver or Bow MG gunner would shout out the contact, and the Sherman would probably either (a) drive forward a bit so that the gunner could gain LOF to the Stug, or (B) reverse a bit in an attempt to break contact. Currently, units in CM will do often do neither of these without player input, which can lead to some pretty unlikely engagements, where one tank just sits there and gets shot at.

The interesting thing about the 'aiming, firing' issue I experienced in the image above is that my Sherman was set to 'area fire'. I find it hard to imagine a situation where 'area fire' should cause the 'aiming, firing, aiming, firing...etc' issue???

Note: there was no smoke obscurement.

The interesting thing about the 'aiming, firing' issue I experienced in the image above is that my Sherman was set to 'area fire'. I find it hard to imagine a situation where 'area fire' should cause the 'aiming, firing, aiming, firing...etc' issue???

Note: there was no smoke obscurement.

Not hard to imagine at all: TC at top of turret can see over high wall/high bocage/pyramid of circus clowns into target area, but gunner looking through gunsight (which you'll note is a good 3-4 feet lower than the TC's eyeline) cannot.

The problem is not that this kind of situation can exist in the game; this is, strictly speaking, realistic. The problems are that (a) there is little or no feedback to the player that this type of situation may be happening when you issue a target order, and (B) the AI doesn't "know" how to deal with this type of situation on its own, by jockeying the position of the vehicle slightly or whatever, to gain the desired LOF.