Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

London Fireworks

Oh... Didn't even realize there was a "General Discussion" area - but I see it tucked all the waaaaaay down there so that it's easily missed.

Abject apologies for having wished you all a Merry Xmas and New Year in the wrong forum...

Won't happen again... assuming I still have any memory left in 12 months.

Erwin, saw them and I thought, waste of money, thought we were skint. Where all on our bones of our arses with cut backs etc, which will be worse again next year, yet all that money is spent on some fancy sparkles!

Of all the things going on in the world that really are a waste of resources (the war of drugs, the war on terror) and your biggest gripe is the production and use of fireworks...LOL !!!

No I never said it's my biggest gripe did I?

It was big enough to mention over and above anything else ;)

I just said it's another waste of money, like the Olympics.

Now you are just digging a bigger hole, i mean if human beings are going to spend money on anything other than what's needed to survive then i think sport and audio / visual entertainment are bloody good things to spend that money on, i live in a shipbuilding town that builds Trident subs, they cost billions and just lurk under the water and can never used, so if you are going to make statements about what money should and shouldn't be spent on start with the big things and work down ;)

Lets end the huge spending on arms and drug prohibition and tax the f### out of the super rich and see if that changes anything, if it doesn't, i'll accept the of banning of large firework displays ;)

I just wanted to get my "Hi MOM" in before this thread gets moved to OT.

about that sub thing... doesn't that provide jobs in your town? And isn't that a HUGE part of what the defence industry is all about?

Well the manufacture and sale of hand guns would create jobs, but no politician in the UK would ever advocate legalising the ownership of those things because some products just aren't worth having around, sometimes the social costs of a industry or object outweigh any economic benefits it may bestow.

And the New Year's off to a good start...

(And no Mike, I never posted on any other forums other than CM b4 and never noticed a Gen Forum since it's buried so deep. We have it at the top in WeBoB - seems like a more logical place. And 10.5 years... my god, I need to get a life...)