Another Generation...

MSBoxer

For Christmas I gave my son a few balsa airplane kits that we can build together. I have not built one in more than 20 years, but had fond memories of building them with my dad when I was young and thought my son might appreciate the experience.

396748_349811981702863_100000221917070_1576884_421987565_n.jpg

I hope that he gains an appreciation for the value of the project, not just the finished product...and that the darn thing flies!

I do try!

I got to thinking that, and I am gonna sound old here, that kids today do not appreciate or understand the long term commitment to starting and completing a project. So I wanted my son to get a taste.

The plane is about done, I just need to order some colored tissue to cover it. I will be sure to post more pics/videos when ready.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

• 3 weeks later...

It was very painful for me to realize that I cannot easily do any of this model-building any more because my eyes can no longer focus on anything closer than 20-something cm. This freaked me out, because I always had perfect eyesight, but only until I read that it is perfectly normal to loose the ability to focus on near objects with age (I am 41) and I fit perfectly well into the norm.

Best regards,

Thomm

It was very painful for me to realize that I cannot easily do any of this model-building any more because my eyes can no longer focus on anything closer than 20-something cm.

Reading glasses should take care of that. And unless you have an eye irregularity that requires a prescription, they are quite cheap.

Michael

Thomm,

there really is not any detail on these stick and tissue models. Just balsa and colored paper...sure some detail them to look like the prototype, but we just build them to experience the project and watch them fly.

We had our first test flight last night with 100 winds on the rubber motor...not real good. Today I adjusted the wing and it flew pretty good with 200 winds. Looking forward to nicer weather and an open field!

Thomm,

there really is not any detail on these stick and tissue models. Just balsa and colored paper...sure some detail them to look like the prototype, but we just build them to experience the project and watch them fly.

But even fitting the balsa and tissue together can be awkward if you can't focus on them.

Michael